Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:48 pm

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 11:31 am 

I'm sitting on a decent amount of boards to send in. It's about 75 PCs of different vintages, 10-15 servers, 10-15 network switches, and some other stuff. Most things are mostly disassembled and roughly sorted. I'll be posting pics of things I have questions on.

I've sent in some of the more valuable stuff in the past but was paying about $1/lb for shipping so I've been selective in what I send in. Having some extra time (and desire to get stuff out of house) now, I was looking at putting everything together to ship as a pallet or two.

Here's what I was thinking of doing:

Box all the bigger (MB, switch boards, GF cards, etc.) boards in boxes from Lowes (18X16X18 and 24X18X18) sorted by grade. Put all the smaller things (CPU, RAM, HDD boards, etc.) sorted as well. It looks like a standard pallet is 48X40 so I figured I can get those box sizes to fit neatly on the pallet. I figure if I get everything boxed up, I can then decide whether to ship UPS, FedEx or as a pallet or two. I know I have a few places locally that I can get pallets from.

Here are the questions I have:

Is there a good place to get a rough estimate on LTL shipping? It would be 1 or 2 skids, guessing 300lb each shipped from a residence in MA.
When getting a quote on LTL shipping, what matters? Assuming a 40X48 skid, does height or weight matter much? Number of skids?

I'm trying to figure out where my break even point is. I have a place about an hour away that buys stuff but he pays about $1/lb than BS.

Thanks for any help anyone can offer.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 11:45 am 
Site Admin

We have a user on the forum who ships LTL.

gorven wrote:
...if your shipping a few hundred pounds or more then give me a call 814-443-6389

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 9:31 am 

Newsorter,

I have some experience in this arena. I live east of Albany, NY in the hills, so not terribly far from you, so these figures I'll give you for reference would be fairly accurate for you was well.
I ship LTL pallets to Boardsort a few times a year, usually junky stuff (small socket MB's, laptops, lower value stuff). I just recently shipped a pallet weighing in a at 800 pounds or so and it cost roughly $300 bucks, most of that cost being because it was picked up at my father's residence (he has a bigger garage space).
If it were possible for you to assemble and ready the pallet where the trucking company can load from a dock, the shipping charges would be less than half of that, I believe I saw a price of $120 bucks for the same pallet of stuff.
Now, the difference in price between an 800 pound shipment and a 1200 pound shipment was non-existent, however when you are getting a quote, you have to be very accurate on the weight of the pallet, even overshoot, as a fee will be incurred if they find out it weighs more. If you only have 300 pounds of stuff, the shipment may be cheaper, I'm not sure.
This is if you are using a standard 48x40 pallet.
I have shopped my ass off trying to get pallets to Ohio as cheaply as possible, and the best deals come from Freightquote.com
You have to make sure when selecting a carrier, that they do residential pickup. They aren't very forthcoming with that info on the site, so you may have to call around and ask. I can tell you XPO Logistics does residential pickup and A. Duie Pyle does not (I found this out the hard way recently).
Also, youre better off jamming all of your stuff onto the same skid (for profit reasons) and also because, like I said, the cost to ship probably won't change, whether youre shipping 300 pounds or 500 pounds.
Just be accurate on your dimensions and weight.

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 8:31 am 

Call me would be glad to quote you on freight 814-442-9060

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 1:23 pm 

Thanks for everyone's input.

Gorven- I'll give you a call when I have a better idea on what the shippment will look like. Still getting everything sorted.

That Freightquote is helpful to get a sense of my ballpark cost. It's look like 25-50c per pound depending on how much I send. I was looking for that to get an idea on what it's worth sending in.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 2:20 pm 

I've boxed most everything up and I'm at about 500lb on one skid.

I have everything in boxes and was planning on using plastic wrap to hold everything together. Does that make sense?

My other question is I have box full of HDD w/o boards. It weighs over 90lb. Is it OK to send that way or do I need to keep boxes under a certain weight?

Thank

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 2:37 pm 
Site Admin

As long as the box is sealed, itself or to the pallet, in a way that won’t open up during shipping; it’s fine.

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 7:16 am 

pallet can be up to 84" high