Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:50 am

Post subject: CPU Buy Back
PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:35 am 

Per the CPU Buy Back program, I have a question in regards to shipping.

Now i only have 5 or so qualifying CPU's, but these arent something I usually get a lot of. I dont have any shipping material or anything like that. Can i do something as simple as wrap each CPU in a tissue and place all 5 in an envelope or small box with bubble wrap?

Can you give me your best recommendations for someone in my situation?

Post subject: Re: CPU Buy Back
PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:50 pm 

I have done that a few times. I have sent in 10 5, and then like 30 or so one time. Just wrap each one in bubble wrap. And then when you pack them make sure they don't move on the box. Also do not forget to include the printout from board sort.

Every processor I have sent in has been good.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:55 pm 

Mwfhawk wrote:
I have done that a few times. I have sent in 10 5, and then like 30 or so one time. Just wrap each one in bubble wrap. And then when you pack them make sure they don't move on the box. Also do not forget to include the printout from board sort.

Every processor I have sent in has been good.

Thanks for the advise. This is the first im sending in CPU's. What percent of the CPU's fail the test of still working and just pay as the low scrap amount? Just curious.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:48 pm 

Lost,

Anything on my above two posts here?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:41 pm 
Site Admin

As for the first question, everyone has a method they find that works for them. I haven’t sold CPUs to the tested chip program but I do sell them personally. But I go overboard Packaging. I have a running supply of packaging material so I use a different Methodology for shipping CPUs than the average person pulling one out for boardsort would use. I use zero static polypropylene squares for protecting pins (or CMCs on LGA chips), place them in CPS single chip transport carriers, strap them to the carrier with zip strips, place them in an anti static bag, and then wrap the bag in bubble wrap.
Place my bubble wrap ball into an air bag and then box the bag.

Overkill? Probably. But I’ve never had a chip get damaged in shipping.

Second question: no idea. I haven’t seen any backlash here. And since the tested program is intended to be for CPUs you’ve actually tested my guess is very few fail.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:22 am 

lostinlodos wrote:
As for the first question, everyone has a method they find that works for them. I haven’t sold CPUs to the tested chip program but I do sell them personally. But I go overboard Packaging. I have a running supply of packaging material so I use a different Methodology for shipping CPUs than the average person pulling one out for boardsort would use. I use zero static polypropylene squares for protecting pins (or CMCs on LGA chips), place them in CPS single chip transport carriers, strap them to the carrier with zip strips, place them in an anti static bag, and then wrap the bag in bubble wrap.
Place my bubble wrap ball into an air bag and then box the bag.

Overkill? Probably. But I’ve never had a chip get damaged in shipping.

Second question: no idea. I haven’t seen any backlash here. And since the tested program is intended to be for CPUs you’ve actually tested my guess is very few fail.

Thank you for the info. I am setting up the shipment with Boardsort now.

In regards to you selling these CPU's personally, where and/or how do you sell them. I have at least 100 CPU's that do not qualify for Boardsorts buy back program, but it would feel like a waste to send them to Boardsort as scrap. I would love to sell them for use or whatever else. The other issue I have is, these CPU's look like new, but I have no idea of the working condition. Any advise?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:40 am 
Site Admin

The biggest single warning I give to people who are starting out reselling tech is know up front.
If you can’t test it then it doesn’t work; as far as the sale goes.
I haven’t tried the cpu program because I don’t have any way to test intel chips. I’m completely invested in AMD except for my iMac. And AMD is so forward and backwards compatible it’s easy to test most AMD CPUs using just 7 boards.

For intel I sometimes use eBay. Something along the lines of chip is mint no pin damage, NOT tested. As is.
Unless it came out of a working system: where I’m willing to take a hit if it’s expensive enough.
If the buyer scams me the single bad mark won’t Change my feedback enough to be damaging and I wouldn’t be loosing out on anything since the CPU is otherwise scrap.

The other tech market I mention from time to time is the Hard Drive Exchange. But I won’t link to them. They are basically a swap market on the “dark” web. They are a good company and were a real retail chain in the past.
They match buyers and sellers for a 10% cut (in their most current format). Like a swap show or consignment.
But they only deal in crypto and don’t interfere in transactions... so it’s a ... disruptive marketplace.
They have onion and garlic addresses so you can go looking on your own if you want. Just remember when you wonder into the hidden web not all is as it seems and there are many many fakes that are identical: of every site. Double spending is common on smaller currency tokens, and ghost coins are occasionally transferred.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:43 am 

lostinlodos wrote:
The biggest single warning I give to people who are starting out reselling tech is know up front.
If you can’t test it then it doesn’t work; as far as the sale goes.
I haven’t tried the cpu program because I don’t have any way to test intel chips. I’m completely invested in AMD except for my iMac. And AMD is so forward and backwards compatible it’s easy to test most AMD CPUs using just 7 boards.

For intel I sometimes use eBay. Something along the lines of chip is mint no pin damage, NOT tested. As is.
Unless it came out of a working system: where I’m willing to take a hit if it’s expensive enough.
If the buyer scams me the single bad mark won’t Change my feedback enough to be damaging and I wouldn’t be loosing out on anything since the CPU is otherwise scrap.

The other tech market I mention from time to time is the Hard Drive Exchange. But I won’t link to them. They are basically a swap market on the “dark” web. They are a good company and were a real retail chain in the past.
They match buyers and sellers for a 10% cut (in their most current format). Like a swap show or consignment.
But they only deal in crypto and don’t interfere in transactions... so it’s a ... disruptive marketplace.
They have onion and garlic addresses so you can go looking on your own if you want. Just remember when you wonder into the hidden web not all is as it seems and there are many many fakes that are identical: of every site. Double spending is common on smaller currency tokens, and ghost coins are occasionally transferred.

Thank you. I will attempt posting a couple CPU's on eBay and see how it goes.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:40 pm 

@Lost

Where would I go about finding these kinda clam shell cases so when I find CPUs that are part of the program I can set them off to the side safely and for transport?

Attachments:
20200618_102741.jpg
20200618_102741.jpg [ 2.95 MiB | Viewed 6097 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:23 pm 
Site Admin

They are generally called carriers or clam shells. But carrier usually refers to a tray type design.
You can by them on ebay or amazon. And at some larger office stores like office max depot or staples.

Just make sure you don’t buy HDPE ones. They are older and work alright with Pinned processors but shouldn’t be used with LGA chips for static reasons.