Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:35 pm

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 3:09 pm 
Site Admin

Depends in brand and size. They're usual hdpe or pp. And in the us should be marked. A number or two letters inside a triangle.

The cap is usually pp or ps.

Btw, ps polystyrene, has three classes. Though they share the same number. Eps is expanded eg coffee cups and egg cartons, is the lowest class, and not all ps buyers take it, since it's not suitable for non-food commercial reuse.
Psp, a polymer blend, is found as bottle caps and in clothing, as well as shells and cases in electronics. Well wanted but not as valuable as class c below.
Finally molded mps is the most valuable because it's relatively clean from other materials and easy to reform without full remelting. The difference between b (psp) and c is easy to tell in most cases. C looks rather solid with few or no pores. B will almost look like it's not quite solid. Have tiny little pores that after wear begin to fray and looks like it has tiny blonde hairs. ;)

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 10:14 pm 

I looked all over for the recycle symbol. Didnt see it anywhere. You have gotten me interested in glass and plastic recycling. Just thinking of how I would store it. There is a place close to me that I remember driving by and you can see all the plastic sorting going. Im going to have to call and check if theyll take anything from me. Have a feeling they wont.

http://rmcrecycle.com/

I feel glass will be trickier.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:44 pm 

Where is the best place to start for researching where to recycle plastic or who buys plastic ? I been just tossing it into my recycling cart and just fill to the top and have to wait till next week to toss more as I have no more room. They take my recycling cart wit no problems but if I can make a little money on the side from it why not every dollar counts. My second question is where can I look up to see what plastic is what and what number corresponds to it? Thanks in advance

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:00 pm 
Site Admin

Plastics are really easy. Aside from the fact that you need to pick up the phone and call.
Next time someone throws a big yellow book at your door flip through it before you recycle it. Manufacturing: plastics.
My biggest best buyers don't advertise they pay for scrap plastic, and don't want dump trucks showing up at their dock. But are always happy to see me back in with my suv full of well sorted plastics, by type; then by colour.

Buying CLEAN SORTED waste from me is considerably lest costly than buying from a plastic refinery.
I remove ALL metal. Any loose labels/stickers. And keep anything dirty or with a label myself for local pickup.
What I found is they love abs and pc-abs the most. And clean anything else for a lower rate. So wash out that coffee cup first. ;)
These guys are the end user, they aren't setup to recycle, just to use what was recycled and cleaned up for them.
You're not selling copper or gold though; my selling is point is to break even on fuel/time. Any profit is a bonus.
I make a profit most of the time but it's single or double digits. Enough to top off the tank for a ride around town to find more electronics I can part out for boardsort; where the real money is.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:05 pm 
Site Admin

recycling codes
I did my best some time ago with fixing this up and spinning it off and had the help of two great editors to get it in order. Take it with a grain of salt and compare the live version against the last major revision!
This page has been a massive sticky trap for the battle of inclusionism vs sourced exclusionisim .