Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:29 am

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:41 pm 
Site Admin

Specme appears to be dormant. If not outright dead .
I've replaced it with speccy via wine since that last post .
Makes more sense since speccy is updated quite often and actually tends to be more accurate with modern stuff.
We've lost 8-bit support with the loss of specme.
Which is unfortunate since I can no longer do a rebuild of it . And I no longer have my floppy disk with it. (They don't last forever! Hurry and "...Copy That floppy!") Lol
I find it intriguing that a tape from the mid 70s still works with 0 flaws but floppy disks from the early 90s have died, but that's another discussion entirely!
You can head over to winehq and find the links to prebuilt ISOs there. I'd also suggest in the initial (re)building of that you use the precompiled version of speccy from them. And then update it on first run, it's a tiny program so it can be flashed to a ram slot on run, not needing to be burned to the ISO. Works best this way if you have a wifi connection and a $5 linksys wifi stick so you don't need a computers possible nonexistent wifi or networking. And anything that doesn't have any networking at all is old enough to be correctly detected on the older version.