Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:59 am

Post subject: full of questions. ..
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:51 pm 

What boards have batteries?? I have came across a few batteries that look like ic chips,other than the fact they say battery. Do these have to be removed as well

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:53 pm 

Also I live in myrtle Mississippi, can you help me to figure how much weight vs shipping cost,I need to make this a successful adventure?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:45 pm 
Site Admin

Batteries. .there's literally hundreds of battery formats . No one will ever catch them all but the goal is to be vigilant and get as many as you can.
The 6 you'll come across most often in computers and electronics beyond the ansi letter forms (aa, aaa, c) are
Button cell hard to miss round silver and look like silver coins
Slip in canister. Looks like malformed aa or c cells, have the same +/- end markings, will usually have amh or mah or uah with a number.
slides in and out of two posts.
Soldered canister
Same as slip but is hard soldered to the board or posts.
Hard shell cube. Usually a rectangle but the term stuck. Big block. Removable cell phone and laptop batteries
Soft shell. same as hard shell, missing the shell. Will have wire leads to a small plug instead of gold square contacts.
Finally Battery on board.
Bob units are found in 2 places more than anything else... battery backed ram bbr/bbram and realtimeclock rtc units.
They look like fat ic chips.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 7:26 pm 

Is there a link that you can send me please

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 1:03 am 
Site Admin

Lisa Yates wrote:
Is there a link that you can send me please

I'm sorry about the delay....
A link for what?

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 1:18 am 

I think I was talking about a link too what different battery types are on the boards. Also, all the plastic that comes from the computers, printers,tvs,etc is there a recycling yard for that? And the glass

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 1:43 am 
Site Admin

We've discussed plastics at length... do a search. Bottom line is you need to do the footwork to find a buyer. I currently sell about half my plastics, by type... #1 #2 #4 #5
and various #7s. Abs, pc-abs, pvc-abs, pp-avs, & pvc. 1 and 2 also covers my household use like water bottles and gallon jugs. So I'm a few dozen lbs in on my monthly plastic sales.

Glass too, legwork. But despite what the epa will tell you, there's sone decent value in leaded glass like tv monitors. I get 20-30¢\lb month to month. That adds up fast.
For clean silicate glass clear gets about 15¢ and green around 20¢. Brown, poor brown glass gets a lowely lonely 2¢ and goes in my recycling bin. Not worth waisting space.

The higher ends of the spectrum. Metal infused plastics like cell phone cases etc i get #3/#4 rate of the metal, copper and tin most often. Gold recovery for high end stuff like iPhone and Samsung Galaxy cases.

on the glass side metallic glasses like high end liquor bottles, lcd and plasma front panes, and old vpt displays i get around $3/lb ±. Laptop/phone/tablet lcd screens I get $5-$10/lb by size from a refiner after pm and rem.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 2:37 am 
Site Admin

As far as batteries go; I have been (very) slowly working on a whole series of photo sets.
Including expanding the variations for the gallery first, but also various look-out-for sets. Batteries is the top of that list.
Until then if you have a question feel free to post images,
And (and this goes for everyone) when in doubt pull it. Let's put it this way. If bs blows up who's gonna buy your boards.
If their buyers Blow up who's gonna buy Bs's boards. They go out of business. Who's gonna buy your boards.
And we'll skip the lecture on federal rules and fines with 3 to 5 zeros on the end of them for shipping unmarked batteries in boxes.
Again when in doubt PULL IT!!!

Battery explosions are a real issue in all levels of recycling. It wasn't that long ago the Acme fires were on the horizon from Wisconsin to the Mi UP abd the whole of Michigan. That fire was (undecidedly) possibly caused by a nicad explosion. Though there was no way to be sure since the buildings were more burned out than Fitzgerald (one of the fake towns in 1940s Manhattan testing).
The media blamed a rave party but it was only days after new battery recycling regulations and fees went into effect in Illinois Indiana and Michigan. One of the sites there was a known storage area for a.large local recycler.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 6:33 am 

Thank you, I will look into the plastic glass in much greater depth. I have so many old style tv monitors I'm running out of room.
The glass from printers, clear,and the glass that's like a prism, also have a far amount of lcd display screens again from printers,old phones,etc. And last but not least the contents of laptop's and flat screen TV.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 2:35 pm 

on the plastic topic, What would toothpaste tubes be considered as. flexible... as well as the hard cap