Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:17 am

Post subject: Can I ship a bucket
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2022 1:48 pm 

I was wondering if Chris would be ok with me shipping a 5 gallon bucket with lid in my next shipment. I want to put my connector ends in a tidy cat bucket.

Post subject: Re: Can I ship a bucket
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2022 2:18 pm 
Site Admin

Have at it. Just make sure you use strapping tape.
Mark your bucket well.

And use a sharpie to cross out the complete list of ingredients, and mention of odour.

Some litters use chemicals banned on airlines. ;)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2022 5:30 pm 

Thanks again Los!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 1:21 pm 

Speaking of bucket...
I always get a kick out of anything Phil Swift advertises for, he's the Flex Seal/Flex Tape guy. Man is a national treasure.
He did one called the Extreme Bucket Challenge, wherein he deals with the flex seal haters buy butchering this 5 gallon pail with a Bowie knife and a chainsaw, then promptly "seals" the pail with about a gallon, and probably a small fortune's worth, of Flex Seal.
Bucket full of holes? Buy $100 of Flex Seal, dump it in, wait for it to cure. Viola! You're good to go (bucket now has 60% less capacity)
New bucket=$3

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 3:55 pm 
Site Admin

Flex seal tends to work.
But flex tape has been debunked on YouTube by multiple trusted real-time testers. It can’t handle much beyond a few psi at surface.
Stretch tests are with the grain. You can lift 100lbs with a 1/16inch cotton 50ct spindle of string. That’s double the thread in a pair of high end jeans.
flat pressure is against the lattice. Flex fails quickly.

I usually suggest generic strapping tape of higher cost. 6-12 length threads and 2-6 width per foot.
But I use gorilla and duck. Same US cotton source in both. Mark Henry couldn’t rip either one.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 9:03 am 

I was just pointing out the ridiculousness of the video, not the quality of the Flex Tape. Everyone knows that sucks.
Just watch the video and laugh.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 3:22 pm 
Site Admin

Yes, the guy is awesome!

And Mr Mays!
My sister and I both have dozens of items and photos autographed by him before us unfortunate passing.

But if you want a real laugh (and actual education on stuff) check out TylerTube.
This guy doesn’t hold back. And his ASOTV tests are often interesting in their complete failures of products.

In honesty though, I’d use Scotch tape before I trusted flex tape seal anything.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 9:16 am 

If you really want to go down the rabbit hole, there are several parodies on the Extreme Bucket Challenge including one titled "Phil Swift Has A Mental Breakdown". The clip is clearly edited by a child, and the humour is also juvenile, but it's a good laugh.
I think Mr. Shammy (Vince, the ShamWow guy?) is out of prison now after smacking that hooker, but very much alive. Are you referring to the great Billy Mays? That dude had a beard that rivaled RJ MacReady in The Thing

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 2:59 pm 
Site Admin

Yep! Btw, he also sold shammy towels and the sponge on late night. But I had forgotten about the other dude so I should probably change that eh?
Mays sold anything and everything. But they usually worked. That’s what was so great about him. He tried even early on not to stand behind crap.

I think that was part of his ‘charm’ in the business. He’s best know for OxiClean but he sold other stuff too. I have stain erasers and invisible ink sets from, and signed by, him. And some sort of paper things I never opened to figure out what it’s supposed to do.

Tyler has take. The opposite route from sponsor. He tests. In real-time. (Well mostly, some test go on so long he has to time-lapse).

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:51 am 

I'll just save everyone some time and money and just say: don't buy ridiculous as seen on tv product. It's just rebranded generic product.
Even flex seal is just rebranded specialty RTV.
Life hack. I just hacked the crap out of everyones lives.
Someone should sponsor me