Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:48 am

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:58 am 

I remember on this forum I read about stainless on boards. Shielding on boards..is that always stainless? I came across one today but it was rusted a bit. But looks like stainless. That was on a crt TV board- the box with the covers that pop off and there are surface mounted components and tiny copper coils. On the same board there was a heatsink that look alot like stainless as well. Could these both be magnetic stainless?

Also, that little board that is shielded in CRT boards, could that pass above low grade?

I can get a pic up if anyone wants it.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:45 pm 
Site Admin

The metals used for spreaders, sinks, and shields have little rhyme or reason outside of copper and brass. Most companies don’t ship boards with copper or brass shields though. For cost reasons.
When they’re flat Stainless is popular.
When it’s a cube style heatsink aluminium and copper is more common.

As for the board I’m not sure off hand which one. The tiny round one?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:05 pm 

here is an image off google, the top left box for coaxial input -

IDing copper/brass/aluminum heatsinks is no problem..im just uncertain whether i should put the magnetic heatsinks in steel shred or magnetic stainless. Im talking about the tall flat ones like in the picture and also the shielding that sometimes covers flatpacks or like i mentioned in OP the coaxial input box.

dont know if u noticed but i was MIA from this forum for a long time...stopped picking up ewaste...and i ended up tossing out some of the stuff i collected awhile back...i think im only gonna take the crystal oscillators from now on...very easy to ID. but kept all the boards..i still never took the lowgrade to that yard you were telling me about near 95th

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:00 pm 
Site Admin

Those are usually a 400 class stainless. And in all honesty if you’re not talking dozens of lbs you’ll probably get sheet steel rate for it, so it’s not worth sorting out.
If it really sticks, toss it in steel
if it sort of sticks put it in high iron stainless. (A better class of 300s)
If it barely sticks or you’re not quite sure, put it in 300 series (non magnetic) stainless.