Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:32 pm

Post subject: Re: Main boards
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 4:03 pm 

kgryczan wrote:
I see heatsinks on both boards that can come off and be sold as aluminum. A small flathead screwdriver should release the mounting wire from the brackets at both ends.

Why would you want to take the time to remove something that you will then sell for less per pound?

I am surprised that Boardsort will accept motherboard with the base of the plastic heatsink cage still attached. Especially since they are usually held on by a large metal piece on the backside.

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 2:31 pm 
Site Admin

flints74 wrote:
Why would you want to take the time to remove something that you will then sell for less per pound?

I am surprised that Boardsort will accept motherboard with the base of the plastic heatsink cage still attached. Especially since they are usually held on by a large metal piece on the backside.

I agree completely. Why remove them when we are willing to pay more than you would get otherwise separately? Those motherboards look clean enough to be sold as is.

As far as the heatsink cage goes, that is how we buy them. With that being said, if the bottom has a full plate (essentially a metal tray covering the majority of the board) it would need to be removed. But I do not see that issue in the two pictures posted.

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 9:46 am 

So, you don't have to remove heatsinks when selling motherboards and finger boards?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:32 pm 
Site Admin

POG wrote:
So, you don't have to remove heatsinks when selling motherboards and finger boards?

The general rule is that if there is a cpu under the heatsink then you can leave the heatsink on. If you remove a socketed cpu, you must remove (and leave off) the associated heatsink.

There are exceptions, as in the rare case of the heatsink weighing nearly as much as the board. In that case it would need to be removed as well.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 2:15 am 

I always remove processors and the heatsinks associated with them. However, I was referring to the smaller heatsinks over integrated gpus and stuff. The aluminum heatsinks on gold finger cards and on motherboards as well (not over the CPU).

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:49 am 

As a buyer and seller of scrap metals for 10 years plus here in Indiana these heat sinks are not cast aluminum they are #1 extruded aluminum, .68 cents a pound as of Friday, cast aluminum .51 cent a pound, if they are buying from you as cast they are up grading and getting over on you, the colored one's are also #1 ex as they are anodized. Some of the smaller one's have a metal wire hold down remove it and it's #1 ex if you don't it's a #2 aluminum same price as cast here .51 cent a pound. Just a head's up.

Attachments:
Picture 220.jpg
Picture 220.jpg [ 1.02 MiB | Viewed 12194 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:04 am 

Boardsort is correct, I just got 46 Dell computor's they all have this heat sink in them it's weight is 1lb 4oz 2 to 3 times the board. Remove it.

Attachments:
Picture 221.jpg
Picture 221.jpg [ 980.34 KiB | Viewed 12192 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:20 am 

brassbusterpc wrote:
As a buyer and seller of scrap metals for 10 years plus here in Indiana these heat sinks are not cast aluminum they are #1 extruded aluminum, .68 cents a pound as of Friday, cast aluminum .51 cent a pound, if they are buying from you as cast they are up grading and getting over on you, the colored one's are also #1 ex as they are anodized. Some of the smaller one's have a metal wire hold down remove it and it's #1 ex if you don't it's a #2 aluminum same price as cast here .51 cent a pound. Just a head's up.

I agree. I get extruded price for the ones that I HAVE to remove or want to remove as in the case of low grade boards. Also, as brassbusterpc stated, no difference in price for anodized. However, some are cast but I usually fail to notice at the time and toss in the extruded bucket.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:49 am 

Great info here. Wish I would have read this a month ago. I generally pull everything off of the MB that isn't soldered on... Looks like I've wasted my time shortchanging myself...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:47 pm 

When taking misc. metal off boards always make sure the scrap value of the board is less than that of the value of the metal, otherwise you waste time and lose money taking off metals.