Welcome to Boardsortâ„¢ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:59 am

Post subject: Getting Started
PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:32 pm 
Reputable Seller

Getting started in electronic scrap is not too hard. I got my start when my wife asked me to do something with all the old computers I had in the house that I was holding for spare parts. In researching proper disposal, I learned about the market that was out there for electronic scrap. I've since learned how to take more stuff apart and discovered Boardsort and used them to classify my scrap and sort it based on these classifications.

To really identify yourself as a professional electronics recycler, you would need the following:

* business cards
* networking skills to find the IT managers or asset managers in the companies you want to recover scrap from
* enough technical knowledge to safely disassemble various electronic devices

Also remember to exercise common sense when recycling. Just because you saw a youtube video on how to refine the gold from gold fingers doesn't make you a chemistry whiz. If you don't feel comfortable doing something such as refining gold fingers or scrapping CRT monitors for the copper inside, then sell your scrap as-is and let your buyer deal with the dirty work.

Most importantly, have fun and be passionate in your work.

Post subject: Re: Getting Started
PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:11 pm 
Site Admin

That is great advice! Particularly about the refining.

Especially when one considers the cost of chemicals, the inefficient or perhaps unsuccessful recovery of the values that the beginner is inevitably destined to experience and the overall dangers that the process exposes you, your family and your property.

In the end, it is usually better to simply sell the material outright and not mess with the chemistry!

However, for those who are interested in learning more, there is a wonderful site devoted to that very subject.

It is the The Gold Refining Forum at http://goldrefiningforum.com/ and is the ultimate resource for learning about refining.

But first you must acquire the material and kgryczan's suggestions are spot on.