Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:57 pm

Post subject: TVs
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:27 pm 

So i been slowly getting started with the computer stuff and such. Well now the guy would like to give me tvs and this is what he said "I know on an average say 27" CRT tv there is about 5lbs of metal some aluminum and about 5lbs of copper breakage or so and maybe a few chips on the board.Then you can unwind the copper if you prefer, it's just not very heavy, but its bare copper.Then all you have to do is figure out what to do with the glass and plastic.
Plus the little bit of wiring
Then if you really want to go the distance with it you can pull the 2 brass ends off the plug"

So what i was wondering is it worth it or such... Since they are free how much do you think i could get ballpark from the tv. Just needing some idea nad such to make some more deals.

Post subject: Re: TVs
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:53 am 

before worrying about how much you get...what i would do a little research on electronic laws in your state.. they are considered e waste because of the crt glass ..if you have a way to properly get rid of that then your in business.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:08 am 

i do

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:45 am 

I don't bother with tv's myself, the yoke is copper, but the degaussing cable is normally aluminum. plus they are heavy when thry get bigger.

I only do CRT monitors. more copper and once you strip the board of aluminum and transformers you just reasemble the monitor and take it to Goodwill. I normally do 5-10 monitors a week and always cut the video cable off.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:20 pm 

Alright for a CRT how much around would i get out of it... Just trying to know what to tell this guy.. Does board sort take in anything from TVs

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 3:38 pm 
Site Admin

Yes, we buy the brown board from TV's as Low Grade at $0.15 per pound.

Do not ship this to us as you will lose money. Usually guys bring that to us in person, and only when they have other more valuable stuff in order to make the trip worth it.

You can however pull and IC chips you find in the TV and save those up as we buy those at $5 per pound currently.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:02 am 

How does one dispose of crt glass properly?
what are the hazards of braking the glass. I have stipped out many TV's there is a place in my area that will take the tube for $5 each regardless of size most of the time I will make back the $5 from the copper and other parts. I would love to know what protections need to be taken to deal with broken TV's. There are Vultures in the area that when they see a TV on the side of the road will smash and take the Emitter Core for the copper and leave the broken glass and mess for someone else to clean up. I can take the smashed TV to the place that takes my tubes but without the Core I do not make back the $5 disposal fee. If I ever spot them I will so turn their License plate number over police and press Vandalism Charges against them. Activities like that give all of us a bad rap. If I had a way to deal with the glass responsibly I would clean up after the Vultures so the neighborhood would see that responsible scrapers can be a benefit.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:12 am 

Half of the glass contains lead. Always use gloves when working with TVs/Monitors. Bring the CRT to a facility that recycles them, however i believe they need to be intact.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:00 pm 

The one by me takes them broken. It is $5 per screen regardless of size or condition.

Behind the screen there is a seem where the two blown glass pieces a fused together. is it the screen half or the tube half that has the lead? I use the angle grander with a 4" diamond blade to cut off the end of the tube with the shinny bits. I seal the cut end and use them to make steampunk themed props for Sci-Fi Conventions. I would continue to seal the end even if the glass is free of lead it keeps dust from dulling the skinny bits.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 2:36 pm 

That coil of copper is only about half of the copper, maybe a little more. The far thicker and better part is wrapped in electrical tape and is along the perimeter of the edge of the tv. Usually a couple small spirngs are put there to help hold it in place, and each corner has a thick plastic eyelet. usually i cut an eylet or two and two cuts in the springs/wires going to it and rip it right out. I didnt read any of the reply's and im sure im repeating someone when i say this (hopefully)

USE CAUTION WITH THESE TYPES OF TV'S, THE FLYBACK TRANSFORMER HAS AN INTERNAL CAPACITOR THAT CAN HOLD A LETHAL CHARGE. LOOK UP HOW TO PROPERLY DISCHARGE THESE SETS AND ALWAYS ASSUME IT IS HOLDING A LETHAL CHARGE WHEN YOU FIRST COME UP ON THE SET. EVEN IF ITS BEEN UNPLUGGED FOR A FEW DAYS IT COULD STILL HOLD A NASTY SHOCK. IF SOMETHING DOESNT MAKE SENSE TO YOU ON THE PROCESS OF DISCHARGING THE SET FEEL FREE TO SHOOT ME A PM AND ILL HELP YOU OUT.