Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:05 am

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:09 am 

L(3) Cisco ASA 5520 Adaptive Security Appliance
(2) Dell PowerVault MD1200
(3) Cisco Catalysts
(1) Cisco Fasthub
(1) Cisco 7200 Series VXR
looking at auction lots for e scrap. One lot has the above listed, and another has a Brocade Fastiron shell, a box with six or eight boards with telephone jack arrays, and a third
Lot Includes - Ethernet Cables, Keyboard, Projector, Timeclock, and (2) F5 BIP228676S

Question is, what grade boards expect to find inside the various units. No idea if working units, but similar used items on ebay for low hundreds. Since I have an overabundance of ignorance concerning electronics, I prefer to mostly acquire that which is scrappable. Last lot I bought for the scrap iron in a plywood "gaylord" had 7 flat screen 17 " and up monitors, plus a few loose circuit boards in frames.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:26 am 
Site Admin

Well the catalyst will probably be telco.
Fasthub is probably peripheral but earlier versions pre-consolidation make telco
The 7200s are a series. It’s totally in the air but most trays will make telco.
The first two I have no idea off hand. Bump this late Monday to remind me tonight to look it up.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:00 pm 
Site Admin

The second one: Brocade Fastiron
This I can’t really help with without knowing exactly what model it is. And then I can only guide.
The 1RU boys tend to or peripheral throughout.
The larger half rack cube boxes have trays that are peripheral or telco depending on what the installed cards are.
The catch to all this is equipmen Like this... card swapping is common. And with that there’s no way to know what class it is.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:17 pm 

depending on how much you are paying for these units on the scrap side there isnt much there the F5 units will have the most amount of stuff inside (i.e memory heatsinks cpu's )

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:59 am 

I buy based on what I see in the shred/steel/ taken across the scale estimate without any prep work. With a minimal bid, it is hard to buy a dud, then I don't lose big money, like twenty dollars... I learned to temper my bidding when still a young man, in a late night country auction, I was buying everything up for a starting bid of two dollars. The auctioneer and I were both enjoying the rapid pace. I even bought three black plastic bags, tied closed without bothering to look inside, much to the auctioneers delight and the laughter of the floor crew. What did I buy? Three bags of floor sweep garbage where they had cleaned out a house. Yes, I took the floor sweepings home, along with the twenty-two ladderback canebottomed chairs, all in and on my little 1972 AMC Gremlin hatchback. Think Beverly Hillbillies loaded up for Californy.
If there is some non-ferrous, or e-scrap boards, or salable items, then I make a little. These are small lots, as you can see, usually non-working govt surplus, but occasionally something still boxed.
Thanks for the input. I was thinking the boards were definitely better than midgrade, since the new units cost in the thousands of dollars. If I win the lot, I will post photos of the boards and other boardsort type items. Looks like the auction also has a few granulator machines/hoppers. Shred plastic, anyone?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:49 pm 
Site Admin

Sorry for the delay. The big ip unit could be anything. It’s not one I have any experience with but my guess is peripheral or small socket.
Cables are self explanatory. Keyboard is 10č or less if anything other than old mechanical, where the values are across the board from junk to $50+ recovery in gold and silver and nickel.
Projector; if the bulbs work that’s the biggest value. Those are expensive. For digital projectors you have the dlp and a controller board; the wire

Time clock? Well if digita like an alarm clock or wall clock take CBM or shred on it whole and walk away. If time clock, like for a company... that depends. Old mechanical ones can have a fair bit of brass silver and nickel. High end digital ones have lots of gold connectors and telco boards.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:58 pm 
Site Admin

FYI, I tend to walk away from anything that is majority monitors or TVs. The values are so low in recovery that it’s not worth my trying to load, unload, and store, that much.
A small, sub 20” tube tv will give you more scrap value than any lcd monitors. Even than most lcd TVs. Silver or copper grounding cable, thick wrapped copper degauss cable. Copper cone. Etc. The actual tube (beam gun) can run $5-$10 if your local yard is large enough to buy them and you’re adventurous enough to break it loose from the rest of the screen.
There’s buyers out there for working and broken LCDs; as I’ve point out many times.
But
The industry employment turnover and company ownership swapping creates so much inconsistency you can bank this week and get robbed the next by the same company.
I’m happy to sell what I have but I won’t buy them alone, willingly.

Keyboards fall into the same issue. 99% of the weight in anything other than the older mechanical ones is plastic and steel.
I’ll always gamble on any mechanical keyboards prior to 1994 though. If they work and are cleanable, they start in the $30 range used. And range to the high $300s!
But even dead ones. The opportunity is there for socketed 8080/8086 class chips. CMS, MOS, Motorola, AMD, Zylog, TI: all made gold cap gold pin controllers for these that fall into that class. At $120 per pound a single chip could pay for two resale store keyboards. If you’re lucky, you get double or triple payout on investment on DEAD keyboards. Worst case you break even (DOA IBM mechanicals start at $5-$10 on ebay). Or you hit the jackpot. 10 working model Fs and go on vacation!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:17 pm 
Site Admin

David Boring wrote:
Looks like the auction also has a few granulator machines/hoppers. Shred plastic, anyone?

Actually I’d use that for sub peripheral boards! Pull all the canister capacitors off and run mid and low grade boards through. Then sell the bagged power and chips as copper recovery for more than most pay for such junk boards as boards.
I actually did that for a while with a Bulldog Bank Vault shredder till it died. Paid $75 for it at a computer store liquidation. Sold new for $3000. Damn thing would eat a hard cover book whole.
Alas it died on a chocolate bar! Books, circuit boards, 3 ring binders. But a friends child stuck a candy bar in the hopper bin and just couldn’t keep going.
See, chocolate really is bad for you!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:16 pm 

Thanks for the warning on the kid eating chocolate bars. The granulators went for about 600, so my 10 dollar bid was wasted.
If anyone wishes to know why the old mechanical keyboards are so valuable, it is because guys like me spent the last ten years filling junk refrigerators with all those 'worthless" keyboards just to get rid of them. Now it seems that gamers and programmers prefer them. Just think: had I saved them for another few years, I could come out of retirement and make more money than I ever did working.
The electronics come up for sale on tomorrows auction. Maybe if I don't get them, I could have time to go fishing with a 55 gallon drum of artificial bait if my bid wins that.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:02 pm 

Got the Sysco and Vault pallet for 13, the Fastiron pallet for 22 (box of loose boards and one loaded cabinet, plus the empty tower box, and one pallet of mixed wire/powercords and external units and server parts for 14. Now we will see how much knowledge I bought for 49 bucks, plus the 20% or so taxes and commission.