Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:49 am

Post subject: Re: TVs
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:18 pm 

ChaosEater0125 wrote:
... The far thicker and better part is wrapped in electrical tape and is along the perimeter of the edge of the tv.

my competition in town doesn't haunt this forum ... they strip TVs here of yoke and circuit board but leave that thick copper cable behind ... fun when I find them :)

Keep an eye out for printer/toner cartridges while you're scrapping. [url]TonerBuyer.com[/url] will pay you cash for many of them while providing a pre-paid shipping label. I don't own the place or get a commission. Just like to brag on legit biz.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:17 am 
Reputable Seller

The degaussing cable is sometimes copper-plated aluminum. The way to tell if it's aluminum or pure copper is by weight or by cutting the cable once you have it removed and looking at the end where you cut it. If you see silver, it's aluminum and at that point, you can sell the cable as insulated wire or strip it and sell as aluminum. If copper, strip it and sell it as #2 copper.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:03 am 

If you live in California we pay a tax when the Tv. is bought. You can take the shell with the tube and drop it off at the dump to be recycled for free.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:36 am 

just so where clear the part of the tv that has the lead is where it starts to get smaller from the screen(the funnel) to the ''gun''

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:31 am 

From a health stand point, the lead in the glass is not of concern to you... what is of concern (and a health hazard) is the HIGHLY reactive phosphorous coatings that are on the inside of the tubes.

All your tube monitors have a phosphorous coating of dust on the display part of the tube. The electrons emitted from the gun interact with this coating causing the image to appear. It is this coating, from a hazaradous material standpoint, that is very difficult to deal with safely and properly by OSHA guidlines. Since the tube is under vaccuum, when the glass is broke, the reactive and extreamly fine dust goes airborn immediatly.

Also, dont get me confused when I say the lead is of no concern. If you are dealing with it in a normal capacity (ie. picking up, moving, dismantaling, etc...) it poses no threat as the lead is locked up inside the glass. It becomes an issue when it is melted by someone like a glass recycler. When the lead is freed from the glass matrix is when it can become a problem.

M

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:42 pm 

I know if you live in California, you can take the TV or Monitor to the local dump and they will take it for free.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:45 am 
Site Admin

Remove the boards. Most often they're low and midgrade (flat tube TV's with Ed/hd support and/or anything better than 4 channel audio will have some peripheral or better boards.as well)

Remove the yoke 25-50 ¢/lb

Remove degaussing cable. Almost always copper strand. (Check anyway ). As is $1.50-$1.80/lb. Or unwrap for bright rod $1.85-$2.12

Tap the very tip of the gun.with a tack hammer or improvise To break vacuum seal.

. Wrap the tube section with a good heavy cloth. Cheese cloth sheet works best. Grip tight and smack directly below the electronics in the gun to break the tube free.

Gun can be sold to refineries for pm recovery. (Google it) $2-$10+ each

Place cloth inside hole and tape it shut for recycling.

Under 22" I average about $5 per tv. Over that i get up to $30 depending on the board chips and size of the gun. I have gotten quite a few gold cap dip chips fro late 80s early 90s tvs that are "cable ready. "

Also ask around. There ARE buyers for the glass and phosphate though there is alot of safety issues in breaking it down any further than stated above. Phosphorus is highly reactive.
Lead glass 4¢-20¢\lb depending on quality and buyer.
Phosphate is all over the map.
Some metal yards will buy the plastic as well. Pc 2c-5c
Pc-abs 5-10c
Pp-ps .5c-2c
Etc.
Just keep in mind with plastics and glass most places want large amounts. A single tv shell is likely to annoy them but 50lbs plastic broken flat will please them.

I buy them up at 25c-50c each or get them for free... so it's always good returns if you're recycling for a living.