Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:10 am

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:48 pm 

I was wondering about the number of processors that would be in a single pallet/Gaylord. Similar to this, I was wondering how many pounds of processors a seller would realistically have available, and the cost per pound of those processors if bought in bulk.

I am mostly talking about i384/i484/Pentium Pro processors, for reference.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:48 pm 
Site Admin

Well... first off I don’t know for sure.
I know a gayloard of ceramics in general will push 400-1200 lbs depending on contents.
A Gaylord of sun sparc chips or early pentiums is going to be very heavy. On the other hand a GL of VIA ceramics is going to look nice but not weigh all that much.
Gayloards in generic terms, a pallet with a heavy paper or plastic container fastened to it, usually are rated for anywhere from 200-2000 pounds, though most are 800-1200 rating.
I can’t be more specific than that. Other than, if you’re trying to FILL a gayloard make sure you pay attention to the recommended restrictions. A dirt cheap generic for ceramics will reach the 200-250lb rating long before filled.
Bad for the owner. Great :facepalm: photo moment for anyone else around.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:50 pm 

Thanks, lodos!

Would it be realistic for a company to have at least a GL of processors to sell?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:57 am 
Site Admin

Generally, no.
But such things happen from time to time. Recycling companies who don’t normally deal with escrap will often auction off such lots. Computer repair companies. Some liquidator with a warehouse buy that has a few hundred pounds they need to just plain get rid of yesterday.

A gayloard of 486s? Not likely. A GL of ceramic cpus? Quite possible but rare. Most often it’s something along the lines of mixed CPUs and you wind up with a few dozen or hundreds of pounds of CPUs and many more random ICs.
People selling stuff like this publicly don’t have a recurring supply. They won’t be able to work with a reputable refinery. And often they don’t know what it is from a tech standpoint.

PSA FYI: if you’re blind bidding or buying keep in mind many non-technical people still call whole computers a CPU. A gayloard of leading edge 386 systems for $100 is a good buy. A Gaylord of trashed Dell systems for $2000 is definitely not.