Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:06 pm

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:21 am 

Update:
I left this post for about a year and then came back, and wow thank for the info! I learned alot about screens from y'all!

Short:
1) Can I use a Reseller Permit to buy salvage/liquidation items and then sell said items to board sort.
2) Can I have a truckload of Salvage TVs shipped directly from [Business Liquidation Location] to Boardsort? I would never personally examine the items.

Long:
I am considering applying for a Reseller Permit in Alabama so that I can buy liquidation items from Walmart and flip them to Boardsort. One of said liquidation items is 5+ Pallets of salvage Flat Screen Tv's. I don't have the space or capacity to have them freighted to me for disassembly... So I want to buy them and have it freighted DIRECTLY to Boardsort (So direct that it is still on the pallet wrapped in plastic). That shouldn't be a problem because Boardsort buys Tv's whole... right?

Last edited by CalebCutts on Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:45 am 
Site Admin

Boardsort doesn’t purchase whole TVs. Not normally. Something like this you need to call and discuss with them directly.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:27 pm 

I doubt they'd accept that or they'd be swamped with the things, just think of the man-hours a truckload of the things represent in dissasembly labor, plus hazmat for all those lcd units, unless they're specifically not lcd, (I think led is the only one that doesn't contribute SOME hazardous unsaleable portion aside from plastic, cuz plasma)

If your serious about selling whole not being involved in dissasembly, perhaps some other forum members, I've started offering a per unit buy price to local scrappers for flat or crt here in Orlando FL, they normally rot on the curb till someone stuffs them in a can to get lifted by the truck, but maybe now someone will pick them all up and empty my wallet

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:20 pm 
Site Admin

[i]Most[/i]LED TVs are still lcd. The led is the backlighting, replacing fluorescent tubes.
The exception being gigantic units the size of a truck or larger. Those are actually led displays. Which break down further to mid or low grade boards.
Boardsort doesn’t want non-working LCDs in general.

Man hours? 5 minutes to 30 minutes. Depending on size and brand. The bigger the LCD the faster to take it apart. But the volume of dead screens they’d be stuck with would cost them dearly.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:44 pm 

But how many units are we talking about, a pallet, depending on how it's packaged and unit size, could be from several dozen to a hundred or more monitor sized stacked facedown and shrink-wrapped. Assuming median values at 15 minutes a piece, and 50 units a pallet, that's 12.5 hours a pallet, that's over 60 hours for 5 pallets, I rarely break them down faster than that and if I do it's usually those "ultralight" LEDs that hardly has any recycling value unless you recycle plastic, last one I popped open took about 30 seconds to strip clean but probably didn't have 10 cent worth of wire and low grade board, a tiny green board less than an ounce that might passed periph but that's hardly another 10 cent

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:27 pm 
Site Admin

Given the range of 14 (single stack 2 row B trailer) and 40 double stacked A
Let’s take the middle at 23 pallets.
At 50 per pallet that’s 1150 monitors. Yikes.
Forgot about the labour hours. Boardsort isn’t a household than can just go to the county or district and drop off a few screens for free.
I don’t know Ohio specifically but most states will charge 10 cents to a dollar each for a commercial group to drop screens. So $115-$1150 in disposal fees?
You can see why the general answer is no. To any monitor.
The fees subsidise they recycling process. There ARE buyers who take LCD screens and fix them or in less regulated states do some level of recovery. But to do a zero waste recovery on an LCD screen will cost far more than the recovered materials have in value.

With screens being highly toxic in partial decomposition collection/recycling is required in most states.
The Zero waste aspect is more about maintaining the ability to create more monitors than anything else. The finite non-renewable metals and REs in them.
The cost of recycling is due to safety laws that have run most buyers out of business on the LCD screen aspect. Two large companies that were the buyers of the “sell broken screens here” people have both stopped the use of the screens. They shredded the glass to make mirror backings and asphalt additive. They were regulated out of it by clean source laws that prohibit the use of the various materials included in such screen source material.

Anyone who has ever managed to accidentally separate the GLASS layers of a screen know there’s a semi liquidised material between the glass layers. (Please don’t lick it, I know it smells like strawberries).

Oh look: I’m off on a rant again.
Short answer then: no.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:50 pm 

I've always wondered about the rare Earth's in the lcd, for a while there was a yard around these parts that would accept "lcd glass" for free and I always wondered who was buying it, I don't think it worked out for them tho, cuz I never see them taking any

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:30 pm 
Site Admin

The market just disappeared. Some highly trained techs will take them for free as they fix them. It’s an area I know little about and have no interest in.
To dangerous for my klutz of a self.

Cell phone screens are easy to sell damaged because there’s a large refurbish market. And they flip them for a hundred plus. Ultimately I just say no now myself as well as most recycling services do.