Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:45 pm

Post subject: A few questions
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:41 pm 

I am newly registered at boardsort.com and have a few questions.

1) Is there a document that describes, all in one place, how to prep what sort of e-scrap for shipping to boardsort? I searched the forum for about an hour or two and found a few things scattered throughout discussions but nothing comprehensive. Not just what to remove (or not) from boards before packing them up, but how to pack and itemize them to minimize downgrading.

2) What would Dell rambus slot space fillers (no chips, just gold fingers) be classified as?

3) How about processor slot fillers or AGP video ram cards? They aren't exactly a simm/dimm/sodimm form factor but they aren't really finger cards and they do have memory and/or IC.

4) What should be removed as a general rule before sending it in? What should NOT be removed to avoid downgrading?

5) Video cards are lumped in with all other gold finger cards but they frequently have GPUs with gold content. Should I remove the GPUs and sell them separately, and would that devalue the card as a gold finger card?

6) Would Ethernet switch mainboards be classed as peripheral or mid-grade or ? What would have to be done to up-classify them?

7) What would CPU VR's with gold fingers be classified as, and would removing anything up-classify them?

8) Is an HP LTO-2 Ultrium logic board classified with HD logic boards? It looks too high-grade to me, to be lumped in with CD/DVD/FDD boards. To be honest, it looks more high-grade than most HD logic boards...

9) I have a few of what appear to be gold-fingered cards with gold-plated tracings under the lacquer. Are they evaluated individually or just lumped in with the gold-fingered cards with unplated copper tracings?

I will post pics of anything you'd like to see pics of.

Thanks in advance!

Post subject: Re: A few questions
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:52 pm 
Site Admin

1) this may help narrow it down for you.
2) peripheral
4) most AGP cards fall in gold finger card class. A few really high end ones make it to telco.
5) removing the gpu from a video card will almost always lower it’s class.
6) home/small office switch boards usually fall into peripheral, never lower unless things are removed. Rack switches will be 50/50 peripheral and telco depending on design and layout
7) if by VR you reference risers, most are peripheral (and you can trim the fingers off). However they can fall into peripheral, small socket motherboard, gold finger card, or telco; in rare cases for all but the first class.
8) tape control boards are CD/DVD or telco depending on the design. Post a picture in the what is it category and we can tell for sure
9) it depends on the card but gold tracing rarely ups the value. It looks pretty but the alloys used for tracing are FAR from pure gold. The shinier and brighter the gold looks the less gold there is. Pure gold is a rather dim low reflective metal. You can always post a photo to be sure though.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:18 pm 

re: 1)
I hope it's not taken the wrong way, but wouldn't it be a good idea to make some of those "sticky" topics so they land at the top of each of their respective forums?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:12 am 
Site Admin

Yep. Sure would be.
That’s not a MOD feature, Chris has to do it. Lol