Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:07 am

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:39 pm 

I have been wanting to send in my escrap but your website is unsecured and I truly don't know why? I already had to put my information in just to ask this question but cant you fix that. Ive tried going on from friends computers and it is the same so its not just my computer. Can you fix this?

Attachments:
File comment: Here is a screenshot of what happens when i click on the info link
Screenshot_20190909-153658_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20190909-153658_Chrome.jpg [ 641.44 KiB | Viewed 5245 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:28 pm 

Those who have no clue are always the first to jump in with an opinion, and here I am. I think it may have more to do with your smart phone settings and security in a public
site rather than Boardsort.com webpage. I have never encountered that warning on any laptop or tower computer.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:21 pm 
Site Admin

The site isn’t at the most current industry level. But you don’t need to provide any form of financial information or government information like an SSN so there’s not much to guard.
I’ll ask Chris for a more solid reply beyond that.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:59 am 
Site Admin

Just to be clear, there is NO security threat at the boardsort.com website.

The browser warning that the user is seeing is simply informing them that the site is not using encryption to "scramble" the information that you are seeing on your screen during transmission.

That is factually correct. We do not have SSL (the encryption that the web uses) installed on this website. As Lostinlodos notes, we do not store financial or personal data on our website short of your name, and your address if you provided it.

Having said that, security is very important to me. Our website is long over due for an upgrade. Logistically it is going to be a challenge. Ideally I will try to preserve each and every post and picture. However boardsort.com is a hybrid mix of part phpbb3 (a website forum package) and custom software written by yours truly. I had to modify the original software to make it fit with our own needs (instant quote services, invoice system, material database).

Without boring you with geek speak, it is going to be a challenge to upgrade the system without interruption of services or loss of content but I am ready for that challenge.

Bottom line, look for upgrades soon, which will also address the encryption issue.

Thanks everyone!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:15 pm 
Site Admin

Let me cover everything here in stages.
First: the site does not use full HTTPS.
Second:there’s really no reason for it, here
Third: if you use basic standard security practices on your own, like not repeating your password that’s your daughter or sons name on each and every site, worst case you simply need to contact Chris or myself and reset your password.
Fourth: seeing a warning, or not, depends on the browser, your settings, your platform (including OS), add-ins/extensions, security settings of your browser and system, etc ad nauseam!

Yes I’m aware of the S-Now, HTTPS everywhere... etc movements. I firmly remain convinced (a decade later) it’s overkill. It saps bandwidth. It increases processing requirements; basically it’s more work to protect... what?
To get anything information wise from communicating with BoardSort would require someone actively looking for it. From your end. And if someone is looking at your, well, nothing, you’ve got a bigger problem than just a single “insecure” web forum!

Finally, as Chris notes above, a system software upgrade is in the works. That upgrade will bring the site to the most current SSL version as well. As he also noted that’s a rather large undertaking to modify a basically pre-built package into a custom site wide platform.