Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:23 pm

Post subject: Battery Taping
PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:40 pm 

First time posting, long time listener. I'm packing up lithium ion batteries and I understand that the gold terminals must be taped over. However, the majority of my batteries don't have gold terminals (think iphone batteries, etc). I assume these don't require taping. Am I missing something obvious?

Is there a certain preferred tape for those requiring taping?

Thanks,
Steve

Post subject: Re: Battery Taping
PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:28 pm 
Site Admin

Boardsort doesn’t generally purchase soft case batteries. That would be like the iPhone batteries and those from tablets and e-readers.
You’ll need to email or call Chris directly to see if they are interested, and at what price.

No matter what you do with them, here’s how to transport such batteries:
If the battery has a bulge or bubble: bring it to an electronic store or call your local fire department non-emergency number immediately. That must be disposed of quickly and safely.

Otherwise
Hopefully you didn’t cut the wires yet. If not.
Nip the connector off. Use care not to cross (connect) the wires. I cut them one at a time.
Now bend one wire to each side of the battery. With a single long piece of packing tape tape over the top (wire source side) and along the sides, securing the wires to opposite sides of the battery.
For manual delivery you’re relatively safe. Just box them up and bring them to wherever.
If shipping. Place the batteries horizontally (on the side, not laying down, wire source pointing to the box side). Rack up the batteries with a thin piece of cardboard or thick paper between the sides and ends. Start at the middle of the box and work your way out so the batteries aren’t directl Against the sides.
Use extra packing materials to make sure the batteries are held tightly and safely.
Purchase a GROUND (federal law) shipping label. Print out and attach, or draw, the lithium battery notice on the top and two sides of your box. Bring it to your shipper.