Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:12 am

Post subject: Tipping?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:11 am 

Just wondering, does anyone tip? I run a metal recycling center and my workers regularly receive tips, which they appreciate greatly. I also see them get a little pissed when they unload a couple thousand pounds of copper out of a guy's truck and he walks out without even a "Thanks." If I was to bring my material into Boardsort I would surely throw the person helping me 20 bucks. What to do when shipping in material?

Post subject: Re: Tipping?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:08 am 

scrap yard i do ,tip if there there working with me in the trenches [ so to speak]
and arent adjusting the scales and wieghts of materal in an attempt to con me.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:35 am 
Site Admin

Only if they help. And when my order is over $100.

I also don’t draw attention to it. Don’t want to cause issues for the guy or gal that gets the tip

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:54 pm 

I'm assuming you are dropping off? Would it be okay to throw a couple bucks in the packing slip envelope? I ship pallets via freight.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:00 pm 
Site Admin

Well; obviously I wasn’t paying attention to the question. Sorry
I don’t see why not. I’ve never sent In A load large enough to reach that point where i considered it; as far as boardsort goes.
But when shipping freight it sounds like a kind idea.

I usually tip at yards if I passed 100lbs of material and someone helped me unload. I do 10% with a $20 base.

Then again if I’m unloading 1000 lbs into bins and everyone just stares at me....

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:25 pm 

Funny story: Somewhere along the way I followed the incorrect address to get to "Boardsort.com to sell my items all the way from Indianapolis , this past August. As I was pissed at self and talking to Chris on the phone, i happened to be parked right in front of Acadamy Metals, unaware I was less than 10 miles from my intended destination. I told them about my goof , they hooked me up and I handed the Supervisor $$$ to distribute to folks that helped unload as it was almost closing time ( I missed the Boardsort deadline for drop off) . Man you think I gave them a million dollars. Smiles and hand shakes as they were leaving for the day. I've been recycling for over a decade and most of the folks that work there have to deal with a lot and with little reward.

Hat tip to the OP! IMO it is an awesome gift to tip. And in my experieince , one who tips from the kindness of the heart receives their generocity back more times over. Besides, I'm black and I always tip enoughh to break the stereo -type...LOL!! Have a great day!