Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:34 pm

Post subject: Density of scrap
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:36 pm 

This is an odd question, but one I could not find anywhere else. I was wondering if anyone had any information regarding how much volume 1 lb of various scrap takes up. In particular, I was looking at cell phones (mostly the whole cell phones with a battery), telecom boards, and whole hard drives.

In addition, when I ran numbers to try and find out the lbs per box if a whole hard drive, I calculated that in a 20x18x16in box, one could fit 360 lbs of hard drives, assuming they were not broken and stacked end to end. Does this make sense at all or did I do something wrong?

Post subject: Re: Density of scrap
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:38 pm 

AldenG wrote:
This is an odd question, but one I could not find anywhere else. I was wondering if anyone had any information regarding how much volume 1 lb of various scrap takes up. In particular, I was looking at cell phones (mostly the whole cell phones with a battery), telecom boards, and whole hard drives.

In addition, when I ran numbers to try and find out the lbs per box if a whole hard drive, I calculated that in a 20x18x16in box, one could fit 360 lbs of hard drives, assuming they were not broken and stacked end to end. Does this make sense at all or did I do something wrong?

i understand perfectly what your trying to figure out the problem is your not be specific enough for anyone really to give you a close enough answer in theroy if your only refering to 3.5 inch sata/ide drives [older thick ones] then your close
if your talking about 2.5 inch or lower or 4 inch and higher harddrive then your off the mark quite a bit..

this also applies to the cell phone to there are 3 common types of cellphones flip, brick and smart. all ranging in differnt sizes and weights

flips are the ones that open up

bricks are the ones with buttons and screen

smart are the ones with pretty much all screen hardly any buttons.

ill be back later after lost see this ...to explain further if needed

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:28 pm 
Site Admin

Figuring on cell phones is a lost cause unless it’s very specific.
First old phones have a LOT mor plastic and metal. Magnesium, aluminium, and manganese shells under the plastic casing.
Second they use more, and thicker, gold. Which is why Chris has the same rate for a removable battery galaxy and a 1994 Motorola Brick.
Those old brick phones can be a few pounds each. Most smart phones never get close to a pound. But you do have super rugged smart phones like Caterpillar and Hughs and Motorola... that pass the two pound mark.

You’re hard drive question has the same issue. The 20,000 rpm SM micro drive is a 2” drive in a 3.5” thin aluminium heat sink and doesn’t break a pound; note come close. The Raptor weighs just under a pound. Being a standard laptop drive in a thick aluminium heat sink.
The average 3.5 inch drive weighs between 10oz and 20oz.
But some older server level stuff like the Maxtor Super Paw 3.5” drives pass 3lbs with the weight usually being around 3lbs 6oz or so. The average maxtor drive weighs about 1.5 lbs. a Bigfoot is about 2lbs.
But Toshiba and Mitsubishi both made early 3.5” drives for government use (in Japan) that were well under a pound.
A half height 5.25” drive is normally in the 3-5lb range where full height disks can be 10lbs or more. The half height 3-board drive was invented to reduce the size and weight because the full high drives would bend the steel frame of larger “super tower” cases like the IBM 2000 and 8000 series servers.
8” hard drives weigh about 15lbs on average.
2” drives can be as low as 4oz. 1.75” drives (wav, MP3 players) can be even less. Like the Aiwa CDWave portable CD player with 2 1.75” drives that weigh just under 3oz each.

It’s a common question, Quora Ask Me, etc. I has no definitive answe.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:36 pm 
Site Admin

evilrick81 wrote:

I think you’re confusing candy bar and brick.

Bag phones are pre 1992 and looks like a car phone or house phone and are not classed as cell phone. I tried once ;)

Brick phones are the original cell phones that have a flip down microphone/cover piece of plastic and a giant slide in battery that makes up the back of the phone.

Candy bar phones (eg Nokia) have exposed buttons and screen.

Flip phones are feature phones like the razr series with a thin modern case and a screen and buttons covered by a flip cover. They are the direct descendant of the brick phone.

Smart phones have a touch screen, no keyboard or dial pad.

Phablets are smart phones larger than 5” diagonal.

FYI old blackberry phones tend to be considered candy bar phones.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:18 pm 

lostinlodos wrote:
evilrick81 wrote:

I think you’re confusing candy bar and brick.

YES you are correct lol i meant candy bar..in this case i was using brick/flip/smart as a descriptive term not a spefic stlye just to keep things easy.. i try to avoid getting to technical here ... for that kinda stuff you {lostinlodos} are much more suited...i just pop in randomly and see topics with questions ive asked myself and share what i have gleamed from my travels as a scrapper...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:36 pm 
Site Admin

Well then, more phones:

The watch phone. Yes they exist(ed). Hade a moment in Japan and South Korea but fizzled out as quickly as it came.

Disc phone. Round thin phone. Another one off from Japan. Had a charging case the size of a cd case and a disc shaped handset with a thin wire. Was a trialed prototype meant to fit in the popular cd case holder bags of the time in the late 90s.

Taco phone. AKA nGage.

Shoe phones. If you find one sell it. They’re custom tinker things.

Pen phone. Popular in the mid-to-late 2000s with survival and apocalyptic types. Looked like a pen and a wallet. The wireless (RF) speaker and mic in the pen. The phone in a leather pouch wallet. Probably Chinese made but not sure. Have seen photos in old magazines but never in person. Not online. Existence is questionable.

Satellite phone. Look like early bag phones. May or may not be cell phone class depending on the boards.

Drop phones. Cheep junk phones sold for $10 at gas stations with 30 or 60 minutes call time. Officially meant to be refilled with minute cards but generally never are. No cell class here. Most are low telco or peripheral class boards.