Welcome to Boardsortâ„¢ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:08 am

Post subject: gold connector ends
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:43 pm 

Hey everyone, i have about 50lbs of gold connector ends ( see image below) - after filling up boxes and checking the price to ship i would end up loosing $ on selling these at 0.50lb is there anything i can do to increase the value? if i pull the physical pins out of the connector ends do they pay any better for those? just trying to figure out my best option.

Attachment:
download.jpg
download.jpg [ 4.42 KiB | Viewed 6778 times ]

Post subject: Re: gold connector ends
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:59 am 
Site Admin

If you're only sending connectors, you're probably looking at a loss, from anywhere. Personally I send low value things under 80c with orders of higher grade where i can deduct the loss and still profit.

That said yes. If you're actually considering pulling pins from 50lbs of connectors you'll wind up with somewhere around 5lbs of pins. Sort them by the gold... shimmer?
The darker pins from the lighter ones.
Pins range all over in value, from around $1lb up to $10+ so pins alone are definitely worth it if you're willing to do it.
Things to think about. The greater the amount of electrical use the purer the gold content. An ide or ata cable end has more gold than sata or audio heads. Floppy, vga, dvi-a, and scsi are high.

The more in/out use the lower the purity but the thicker the plate. Usb, lightning and high grade hdmi all have low purity but are considerably thicker plating. Bordering on jeweler's classes of mil and roll. So despite being less pure actually still have decent payouts.

There's a lengthy list I posted (somewhere) of various rate comparisons you can for calculating estimated values. Search for gold purity. I believe it was started as a post about ram and finger values. Prices are different but % of %s breakdown still works for math.