Welcome to Boardsortâ„¢ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:15 pm

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:32 am 

I just sold copper. I had 22 oz of copper I was paid for 16 oz because
their scale does not weigh in between. I worked almost an hour to get the
extra 6 oz, RA slows me down from stripping copper on power supplies.
His explanation was that he would take care of me, gee guys it that
lame or what. I'm trying to take care of myself!

Will I get paid a percentage if the amount is in between or should I
be certain it is right on the nose by pound.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:32 pm 
Reputable Seller

I believe if you enter in ounces, the correct percentage will be calculated when you use the quote form. If you don't have exact weights, it will all be dependent on how precise the scales are that boardsort uses. Sounds like your scrap yard uses a scale that ignores ounces or rounds up if you have eight or more ounces above the number of pounds you have. I believe a majority of scrap yards ignore ounces since many scrappers haul in large loads and could care less if they have a few ounces over what the scale says.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:34 pm 

Pretty much any scrapyard you go to will have one or more drive on scales and one or more 4'x4' or bigger scale to weigh copper and other matrials. The smaller scales only read by half a pound and do not round up. 22oz is 1 pound 6oz so 2oz short of half a pound. The scrap yard I go to ignores the half a pound reading so I make sure I have 30+ pounds before I take copper in. Last load I brought in was 900 of Iron and 450# of no. 2 copper.

To answer your question, Use the instant quote service on this site, enter in 1 pound and see what the price is, then enter in 1# 6oz and see if the price goes up.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:37 pm 

Thank you all for your replies.
I've been working on my first package to boardsort. I have rdram that I will not put in the bag with the memory but I also have 2 rdram memory slot blanks that have gold fingers, should I take them out of the memory bag?

I will label my cpu's and put them in tin or small cpu cases or boxes but it
is all going in the USPS Flat Rate Padded BAG with strapping tape around it.
Below, any comments? About do's or don't thank you very much.

I'm not quite certain about this, because I'm used to selling myself online but I will try it once. I was going to ask someone on the EVGA boards what they thought about this place but the gold recovery boards probably are more relevant.

As for the copper...it was that I was not told...when I asked I wasn't given a straight answer.
I just wasn't told that I would not be paid for the 6 oz and when I asked if I should bring the exact amount 1lb 2lb no more no less he said no I didn't need to do that, like I was stupid. Sure they just made money on the extra 6oz. He didn't want to tell me.

Attachments:
File comment: I have photos of everything on scales
IMG_0035.JPG
IMG_0035.JPG [ 1.37 MiB | Viewed 11772 times ]
File comment: USPS Flat Rate Padded Envelope
IMG_0048.JPG
IMG_0048.JPG [ 1.27 MiB | Viewed 11772 times ]
IMG_0033.JPG
IMG_0033.JPG [ 1.37 MiB | Viewed 11772 times ]
IMG_0022.JPG
IMG_0022.JPG [ 2.02 MiB | Viewed 11772 times ]
File comment: All Green Stick with gold fingers is the RDRAM dummies, there are 2
IMG_0021.JPG
IMG_0021.JPG [ 1.34 MiB | Viewed 11772 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:51 am 

Don't send that stuff in a padded bag, it will bust open before it gets there, Always send in a good quality box.

The memory blanks don't go with the memory as they have no I/C population. With the RD ram, always remove the aluminum and throw it in the regular memory, pays better.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=170

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:31 am 
Reputable Seller

I would use quart size freezer bags or anti-static bags to sort into, and your fingered cards I would use a gallon size bag or two or something a little more sturdier. If you know anyone who works on telecom equipment, I would ask them to get you some large anti-static bags that you can use for sorting. Once you have your materials sorted, put them into a flat rate postage box and cushion the sides of the box with newspaper or other packing materials. Tape it up good and take it to the post office. Remember, treat your package like gold because it is gold.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:05 am 

Why use anti static bags or cpu cases? It is all scrap that is going to be shredded up.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:32 pm 
Reputable Seller

I used them because I was able to get a bunch for free and they hold up fairly well to the sharp edges of some boards as long as the bag doesn't get too full. The main point here is to make separating your materials easy for boardsort once they receive your shipment as they receive in tons of stuff daily and don't have a lot of time to sort it for you. It will also make payment more accurate and profitable for you.