Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:51 pm

Post subject: Split grades again
PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:58 pm 

I had enough trouble with telco to begin with. They split it into high and low telco. O my goodness now GF cards are split 3 ways.....lol

Is there any guidelines to go by on these grades?

Post subject: Re: Split grades again
PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:31 am 
Site Admin

Wait... there’s 4 gfc classes now? Oh my. I’ll be back. Probably Sunday or more likely Monday when the new list is posted.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:24 am 

lostinlodos wrote:
Wait... there’s 4 gfc classes now? Oh my. I’ll be back. Probably Sunday or more likely Monday when the new list is posted.

Lol....the GF cards I think I understand those (fan’s, heat sink’s and bracket’s). One I don’t was “low grade GF” unless thats referring to it having fan, heat sink and bracket.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:03 pm 
Site Admin

I think, personally, lol, I don’t know.
I can figure that there were always multiple grades of GFC and Chris was just combining them for all this time based on their in house methods. We all can figure out what a random gold finger card is.
But in reality no one here is going to mistake the value of a fax modem card (low) as being the same value as an XFi eX sound card. The latter has in quantity always gotten some sort of upgrade after shipment.

Until I get it all figured out myself... I’d go with junkers like modems and socket terminators in the low category. If it’s clearly a gold finger card ONLY because it has a gold fingers, and would be iffy peripheral or lower without the fingers, low would be the place for it.

Just a note: gigantic power boards with gold fingers are NOT low gold finger cards. Nice try to the few who were thinking about that! ;)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:46 pm 

Correct me here if I am wrong....
It sounds like e-scrap is getting to the point where you nearly have to be an electronics tech to navigate the different grades.

I for one could not tell you the difference in a fax modem card from XFi eX sound card :)

It sounds like its getting to the point where you have to know the components and their material make up.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:50 am 

Got to have the all the same grade boards in the 1000lb lot that goes to the refiner. That way you have a much better idea of the outcome of metals. I'm sure boardsort does even more sorting before the refiner.

Could Chris arrange the list so that the stuff in the same category is listed together so you don't have to look over the entire list. The four grades of gold finger cards have like 10 other categorys between them.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:26 pm 
Site Admin

rdw1121: let me rephrase.
Anyone can tell the difference in value between a fax modem and an XFi. There’s more gold in, and ON, an xFi that in some low end processors.
See images.
Attachment:
C09A61F1-24DF-4E54-AE4A-2D72E7813BAF.jpeg
C09A61F1-24DF-4E54-AE4A-2D72E7813BAF.jpeg [ 131.47 KiB | Viewed 8502 times ]

Attachment:
96A49365-B244-43AC-8CC2-48BB1DA8BD40.jpeg
96A49365-B244-43AC-8CC2-48BB1DA8BD40.jpeg [ 85.41 KiB | Viewed 8502 times ]

Mwfhawk:
Yep. The recycling industry is extremely volatile across the spectrum.
And the metals market is one of The most extreme. If a single construction consultant on an island micronation says they may need to buy a few hundred thousand tons of recycled steel you can watch every commodity jumpe a few points in the following days. If the same guy goes bankrupt and looses his island nation to the bank or investors the markets can drop a twice as much by that afternoon.

When Trump announced the trade sanctions against China, with no details, the steel industry went crazy for 4 days before settling back to where it was before the announcement.
Using American pounds lt steel scrap went from 1/2 cent per pound to as high as 6 cents and as low as 1/25th cent over four days before calming down and returning to a somewhat stable 3/4ths cent.

Using the pyramid methodology I’ve used elsewhere on the site; boardsort is fairly near the top/end of the supply chain. What they further sort and pass on to their buyer is feed: a raw source material. The recYcling equivalent of a gold mine selling ore.

Refinery ownership changes constantly. It’s a make or break job class where you either make it or fail spectacularly with very little in between. The best ones, a small handful, change ownership/management every few months to years. The owner makes 8 digits and cashed out selling it to an employee. The employee who makes a bunch of changes to “do it better”. Sometimes it works. Sometimes not.
So if last week mixed motherboards were good maybe this week colours need to be sorted from greens. Who knows, next month we may have a category for red motherboards.
Maybe the companies were taking cards with brackets all along. OR,
Maybe some boardsort employee had the sole job of removing brackets and nothing else. Maybe that employee got sick, or hurt, or moved. Or retired.
Regardless we now have with and without brackets.

You don’t need to be a scrapper or a tech to tell which of these two boards is worth more. I’m very happy to see that class split. It’s better for everyone. The low price didn’t drop much. The high price allows for proper payouts on the material.
The list of classes has changed a lot over the years. Some classes are long gone. Be it lack of volume or lack of buyer, they are no more.
Sometimes they try adding something for a few weeks and find out the volume just isn’t enough to justify the extra sort.
If after 4 weeks they have to go and dump all of card B back into the card A bin, there’s no sense in keeping the class.
If every user starts pulling the brackets off we can expect that extra class to stick around. If no one goes to the trouble I’d expect it to quietly disappear one day. This is better for me since I (almost) always removed brackets. Just to be polite.

As for the last item:sort order. For many years the list was ordered by class groups and people complained that it wasn’t in order of value. Now it’s in the order of value and the complaint switches to the flip side. ;)
I’m not even sure it’s intentional and not some mistake in eXcel where an employee hit a function key and did an auto sort by accident before saving and uploading.
I’m just happy it’s not some giant wall of unsorted text many other companies use.
Nothin bothers me more than lazy and an unsorted WoT is just plain too lazy to push enter a few times and hit a function key; and use their brain.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:25 pm 

IMO Board sort is the best company out there to sell E-scrap to. Just the fact they broke up the slot cards in different categories just proves it. My only bitch is the the list could be organized better.

Los your knowledge of the industry never disappoints.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:22 pm 

ohh yes I do see ;)

After some sleep and looking at the split GF cards again it just boils down to how clean (free of fans, heat sinks and brackets) the board is and trimmed or not.

But the telco still eats my lunch....lol

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:56 pm 

Could Chris arrange the list so that the stuff in the same category is listed together so you don't have to look over the entire list. The four grades of gold finger cards have like 10 other categorys between them.[/quote]

Mwfhawk.....
I understand what your saying there and it would be eaiser to follow if all the GF card categories were grouped together insted of spread out.

The Grades for what ever reason are in order by low to high payout.