Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:37 pm

Post subject: Silver plated terminals
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:10 am 

How can you tell the difference in silver plated and nickel plated terminals? I pulled some wire out of battery back up system and some of the terminal look different from automotive terminals.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:05 am 

Here is some pictures of what I have. The two spade terminals look like what I'm calling automotive terminals, which I think are zinc plated. The eye terminals and butt connectors are real shinny compred to the others, which leads me to think those may be nickel plated. The other terminals appear to be silver to me.

But I could be way wrong with my guesses here.

Attachments:
IMG_1137.JPG
IMG_1137.JPG [ 2.58 MiB | Viewed 6862 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:40 pm 
Site Admin

The only way to know for sure is radiology (X-ray) or chemical (acid, base, etc) testing. If you’re wanting to know for some real reason I’m happy to walk you through various chem tests you can do.
If you are just trying to sort the easiest thing to do is scratch them with a knif. If it’s plated copper goes with copper, brass goes with brass.
Anything solid get a magnet test followed by a silver acid test on a tile. Anything that sticks to a magnet goes as nickel content. What’s left it it is silver it gets silver cup. If not it goes in nickel content. Which for me also cover zinc and tin.

Again if you actually need to know what metal it is there’s a long series of tests you can do I can walk you through.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:52 pm 

I was lookiing at it from the stand point that Boardsort buys silver plated brass. I've run across some that were slightly attracted to a hard drive magnet which I presumed were nickel plated. These don't even as much as make move when I scan them with a magnet. I went back and scraped them they are copper plated with something.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:09 am 
Site Admin

Nickel and tin are the most common. Silver plate is less common but well known as well. Boardsort takes them as “...plated brass” connectors.