Welcome to Boardsortâ„¢ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:24 pm

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:00 am 

Answers Found:

After much searching, including starting at page 19 and working back thru page 14 of the General Discussion Forum, I have found a enough partial answers to guide me through my pile of boards. Now I wouldn't want to deprive any other new e-scrapper of the joys of finding out on your own by telling what I concluded.

I have quite a several hundred large socket motherboards from the 90's which have a metal face(sometimes iron, others brass or ss) as well as metal edges around the connector ports. Do these need to be removed?
Also a lot of them have a few aluminum capacitors...remove or leave? I would prefer to remove the capacitors, about 1 inch tall, to save the packing space.
The boards Usually have one or two small ferrite donuts with a small bit of copper wrap...remove?
I would be nice to see a side by side comparison of a raw board and one that is prepared for shipping, showing what has been removed.
Or, is Motherboard class acceptable without removing anything except heat sinks and batteries?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:09 am 
Site Admin

Generally removing components is not wise but nobody is going to tell you if you wish to remove aluminium canister capacitors... have at it.
Heatsinks, and iron/steel need to be remove.
Can you post a photo?
What your describing sound more like two other items rather than standard large socket motherboard.
Either kit/8-bit computers which range all across the Boardsort class spectrum, or media devices which tend to be peripheral.
On the other hand many secondary sellers including HP and DEC made some strange boards in the early 90s and late 80s.
Those would be standard motherboards.
A picture can end any doubt very quickly