Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:18 pm

Post subject: Cell phones
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:49 pm 

I hAve 32 cell phones some of them are smart phones but most of them are flip phones can I sell the older style with the smart phone type, I took the boards out of about 6 of them

Post subject: Re: Cell phones
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:30 pm 
Site Admin

Yes. See your other post on the subject.
Empty phones shells have no value to Boardsort though.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:59 pm 

Hi im new to this i have a bunch of cell phones old and new can any one walk me throught the steps i have a couple hundred of them i also have a bunch of boards out of cell phones i live in montana is it worh it after shipping

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:21 pm 
Site Admin

Well; this has a few options.
Cellphones in general tend to be worth shipping when you have quantity, bulk.
But it comes with some issues
Ignoring taking them apart for the moment: let’s look at sending them whole.
Cell phones with removable batteries are easy.
Go to the post office and ask for a priority mail flat rate large box. You want the rectangular one, not the perfect cube. Just shove the box full and ship any weight for a flat rate. I’ve gotten over 40 brick phones into one, many more candy bar or smart phones. At the current rate the first 5 lbs goes to shipping and anything after that is cash money. Phones add up fast in weight and getting 20-30lbs in a box is not hard.
Sealed non-removable battery phones—
By law batteries (4 or more in a box) must ship ground. Here Fedex is the Better option. I’ve done a few write ups on shipping so just search the board for fedex. In short many many smaller boxes is less costly or Fedex than one or two large ones. Shipping a single large box can run $60 or more but breaking the same shipment a dozen small small boxes can be under $20.

Now, for taking them apart. This has had multiple debates here. The general consensus is things like candy bar and older (2000s era) phones, and the earliest smaller heavy smart phones) are worth taking apart if you have the time and tools to do so. Gold pins, gold plate, cell boards, silver and brass all add up well apart, way over the phone rate.
The most modern phones, last 5 years or so, aren’t worth the trouble. Far less modular and far more compact. The weight is in the screen, not components; boardsort doesn’t buy raw lcd screens. Best leaving them whole.
Another thing to note, don’t take apart phones with non removable batteries unless you have experience and training to do so.
Puncturing a soft bag lithium battery is very easy to do and causes a nice toxic fireball at best, a small explosion at worst. Burning down the house isn’t worth it.
You’ll again need to look at how fast you can get them apart. And decided if your time to breakdown value is worth it to you.
That’s something we all decide on our own.