Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:11 am

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:11 pm 

I want to know is all cell phones good to mail I got some old ones, I took the boards out of 6 or so I got 32 total how should I sell them, I'm ready to ship right now.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:22 am 

I will defer to lost here but the boardless ones are probably worth less. Best way to send them and get the best bang for your buck is remove battery and send them and then tape the connectors of the battery and send them separate from the phone

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:29 pm 
Site Admin

They don’t care about the age of the phone. Be it a Motorola brick, a Nokia candy bar, or an iPhone X. They all get cell phone rate.
Batteries MUST be
Connected securely to the phone OR completely separated with taped over contacts.
If you’re sending phones and batteries it almost always pays better to separate the batteries from the device.

Now as for taking them apart:
It depends on the phone. And on you’re local options for other items.
Taking apart a smart phone for scrap is ALWAYS a lost cause because there’s no secondary value pieces inside. (Excluding blackberry).
Many early blackberries have a gold plated steel mesh over the keypad that Boardsort will pay gold pin rates on. Usually about $8 per lb over the last few years for me.
But; candy bar phones are where things get difficult.
You obviously have a cell phone class board in there. But some have gold plated steel contacts for batteries, gold plated antenna mounts. Et. Which again can go separate as gold pins.
Both Nokia and Sony used silver alloy shields over the time span (hence local options).
However some Nokia’s have solid, though light, magnesium trays ($0.30-$0.45/lb) that have little gold plated signal buffer clips on the sides (gold pin).
Brick phones often have multiple heavy boards and lots of loose PM.
The first two generations of Motorola bricks with the four dip switches have tiny solid gold alloy balls inside the switch units (switches under brick battery, watch the springs, tiny balls fly far).

Smart phones: send whole
Brick phones: take apart
Candy bar: up to you. Usually worth more as scrapped as parts but not always.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:34 pm 

Thanks everyone for your replies I started out taking the boards out then stopped when I had about 5 or 6 done so the boards I got I weighed them it's under half pound what should I do with them I took the batteries out the rest cell phones without battery wiegh 4.334 pounds and the batteries wieght is 1.499 pounds

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:18 am 
Site Admin

take apart two or three more phones until you get to 1/2 pound

and then enter 0 [pounds] 0.8 [ounces]
it's the lowest point chris has been willing to "go" with it for a class.

(less than a pound is very much not what they want, so general notice is not to send less than a pound, in your case you should be ohkay)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:55 pm 

brian52799 wrote:
I want to know is all cell phones good to mail I got some old ones, I took the boards out of 6 or so I got 32 total how should I sell them, I'm ready to ship right now.

Hey Hi Brain
I am Here New And This Is Was Very Good For Helping To Another Person
Thanks....