Welcome to Boardsortâ„¢ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:57 am

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:10 pm 

Someone is giving me roughly 70 CRT monitors. I have been getting TVs from around town recently to scrap for copper and other metals but found out that those metals aren't worth as much as I'd hoped.

I'm wondering if it would be worth it to take off the IC chips, ship the boards, save and melt them down myself with acids, etc. I'm still new to all this so looking to you guys for some help.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:27 pm 

All the boards will be low grade. Not worth shipping.

The benifet of CRT's VS. TV's is that the monitors has the copper on the back of the tube, and the degaussing wire around the front is copper. Most TV's are Aluminum.

Myself, I dob't bother with them as the copper will just barely pay the disposal fee of the tube.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:33 pm 

I would take those to Goodwill since they have contractors that will recycle the CRT tv's. There is mercury in the tube and it is not worth removing the copper since the tube can easily brake and there is high health risk.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:25 am 

Guess I'm confused about what chips you can get off of boards that are worth money. Black fiber chips, green/brown fiber, etc. Any links that will show me what the differences are?

Also Bestbuy will take 3 crts a day for recycle. I work about a block from one. So getting rid of them isn't a problem. Just trying to maximize profit and learn the trade a little better.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:35 pm 
Reputable Seller

Best thing to do if you want to profit from the boards is to desolder any IC chips you find and remove any transformers you see with exposed copper, along with any heatsinks. Trim the data cable from the monitor as well and you can put the plug end with your gold plated connectors and the rest of the cable can go with your insulated wire that you do not strip. Depending on size, you can get anywhere from half a pound to more than a pound of copper per monitor.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:31 am 

Best bet is to find out what your cost is for proper disposal and charge higher or offset with profitable items such as no charge for 1 CRT per 5 Desktops removed,.
If you are doing proper disposal that you can back up with a paper trail I believe you will find this to be just over a break even point.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:19 pm 

the tube has no gas in it. It is a vacuum. But I'd be concerned about the phosphors that are coated on the front of the tube. Some of these contain cadmium, a toxic heavy metal. You should definitely avoid inhaling any of this by wearing a good filter mask. (i dont wear a mask. ) It is best to avoid breaking tube, then my dump transfer center lets me drop it in a designated area, so they can reclaim the leaded glass. I have stripped many of these, my main concern is how long ago it was plugged in. The transformer can give a good jolt. I have broke tubes on accident and it scared me, but thats it. I did take a control knob for a oven apart once and something in it popped and a burning piece of metal hit me in the eye, that is scarier then a crt or a tv.