Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:52 am

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 2:44 pm 

I was trying to get the yoke off the tv by gently twisting but it was taped into the tube. I heard a small snap and hissing sound. It only hissed for a few seconds. I wrapped it in tape and decided to abandon the effort on that unit. What kind of has released into my basement and how dangerous is it?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 2:58 pm 

Ok. After searching a little elsewhere I think it was just air from a vacuum and nothing dangerous. Still not messing with this tv anymore. I'm used to seeing a stainless steel clamp that, after loosening it, allows the yolk to slide off. This one is taped and glued in there. Not worth potential danger.

Where do you take the tv shell and tube after removing the copper and panels?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:35 pm 

mrbenaka wrote:
Ok. After searching a little elsewhere I think it was just air from a vacuum and nothing dangerous. Still not messing with this tv anymore. I'm used to seeing a stainless steel clamp that, after loosening it, allows the yolk to slide off. This one is taped and glued in there. Not worth potential danger.

Where do you take the tv shell and tube after removing the copper and panels?

I have a local buyer for tubes and plastic. Usually goodwill will take them or best buy if you have one local
And yes, the hiss was air rushing in. Nothing too dangerous at all as long as the rest is intact. Also, some RCA made tubes have a bonded yoke...I always wound up breaking the glass trying to remove it...lol

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:36 pm 
Site Admin

Goodwill will NOT take tube TVs; they used to be my SOURCE for low cost (sub-$2) tvs for parts.

but best buy and other electronics shops will recycle them for you.
I have long had a buyer for lead glass so once I got the unit free I just drop it vertically about 3 or four feet or on really big ones smacking the tube off with a hammer. So never too much worry on breaking it .

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:36 pm 

lostinlodos wrote:
Goodwill will NOT take tube TVs; they used to be my SOURCE for low cost (sub-$2) tvs for parts.

but best buy and other electronics shops will recycle them for you.
I have long had a buyer for lead glass so once I got the unit free I just drop it vertically about 3 or four feet or on really big ones smacking the tube off with a hammer. So never too much worry on breaking it .

Mine used too, but not anymore..should have been more clear...lol

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:03 pm 

When it comes to degausing cables are most of the reddish and green ones aluminum? It seems like I've pulled very few that look like copper to me. It's still worth stripping to me cause my yard will pay .42 for clean aluminum wire but just .20 if it's covered. Just wanted to make sure I was right about what metal it was. Thanks again for all your advice, guys. I'm still learning.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:59 pm 

mrbenaka wrote:
When it comes to degausing cables are most of the reddish and green ones aluminum? It seems like I've pulled very few that look like copper to me. It's still worth stripping to me cause my yard will pay .42 for clean aluminum wire but just .20 if it's covered. Just wanted to make sure I was right about what metal it was. Thanks again for all your advice, guys. I'm still learning.

Your best bet for the degaussing cables is to cut them in a spot, if they are aluminum color, then you got aluminum wire, copper color, you got copper wire.
The varnish can be many different colors, so always cut them in one spot to check :)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:39 pm 
Site Admin

I've never come across one that was aluminium but they are out there.
Most are copper followed by nickel and then tin.
So yes cut through it
If it's not copper see if it sticks to a magnet. If it does you have nickel or a nickel tin alloy, if it doesn't it's aluminium

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:53 am 

My first two cables are both aluminum. Kind of disappointing. But stripped aluminum still pays more than covered aluminum. Thanks, guys.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:47 am 

mrbenaka wrote:
My first two cables are both aluminum. Kind of disappointing. But stripped aluminum still pays more than covered aluminum. Thanks, guys.

That kinda sucks, I've only ever gotten one aluminum degaussing cable...and I've scrapped hundreds of these...