Welcome to Boardsortâ„¢ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:53 am

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:05 pm 

if i cut the ends from usb cords printers etc. i can sell here for .50c per pound what if i remove all pins from ends? will you buy the pins at a different ?higher price? it justseems like shipping wouldnt pan out unless i had a few thousand pounds of ends

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:15 pm 
Site Admin

Yes pins are purchased separately
Sort them by source
They're xrf scanned on reception and paid by actual gold content at that point
Pins range from $1-$10+/lb

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:55 am 

when you say sort them by source.. what categories do you suggest to sort them in to? like usb pins separate from dvi pins and a seperate from pins from a motherboard connection? of just seperate piles for each different type of connector and have a bunch of different piles. Thank you for any input. i have a 55 gal trash bin full of gold plated connector pin ends from various and assorted items

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:51 pm 
Site Admin

55 gallons of pins? Oh my.
My initial comment by source was by what they came from. USB dvi vga etc dvi is usually higher value than USB for instance. Ide/ata and at/xt connectors are worth more yet. LFF memory pins and CPU pins are higher still.

But at 55 gal were more into, if you're gonna sort them now at all, into pulling wedge pins and pegs (much thicker diameter) from the standard pins.
The last thing I'd do in this situation is grab a big hard drive magnet and sort super stick from sorta stick from no stick. This is probably your best option at this point.
Make SURE if you ship them you get them insured! I'd hate to hear about your gold pins being all over the road if a plane or small planet fell out of the sky and nailed your delivery truck. ;)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:08 pm 

Yeah, i work for a large company that goes through a lot of electronic waste. There kind enough to let me take it off there hands instead of just throwing it all away like they did in the past. The drum full is the culmination of the past 3 years of pulling pins out of everything. I swore i was always going to use them for gold recovery myself.

Going forward ill def sort the pins as i pull them like you said. and yeah for now ill probably go with the hard drive magnet option to start, that seems like the best option at this point. id drive them to the facility myself but thats a bit more of a drive then i wanna make lol. I'm Def getting them insured when i ship them, id hate to make it a "gold" christmas for someone else.

Thanks for all your help! ill be sure to upload a pic when i send them. not to often you get a chance to see that many pins all piled up.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:32 pm 
Site Admin

Use a hard drive magnet. Either neodymium or colbalt they are the strongest non electric magnets.
Anything that sticks will be on steel or nickel. There's a fair bit of difference in the base metal value but at this point it's not what you're looking for. Both types are very common and you're facing a major task sorting these two apart.

Slightly sticks.
These will be gold plated stainless, or chromium nickel. The base value spread is less than ten cents. So in this class not worth sorting at all between the base metals. Stainless 300s is 70-90 cents and chromium is 80-1.10 per lb.

Finally no stick. These are your key to find here.
These you should try to bend. You're unlikely to have many. If it bends easily it's on copper, silver, or is an alloy, most likely 8/10/12 kt
If they don't bend at all they're plated manganese and the base is about 40-55 cents per lb.

If they bend with some effort it's brass or cast copper underneath. Base is $1.20-$2.10 per lb.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:19 pm 

Lost I realize this is an older post, but i have spent the past few hours reading over the forums about gold pins. I made a similar mistake when i began recycling computer items. It was just stupidity but you learn so much as you work through it and read all these important forums. So at this point I have 2 chinese wonton quart sized containers filled to the brim with gold pins i pulled from cables, back planes, server boards, SCSI cables,etc.... at this point I'm not sure it is worth separating. If i sent them into BoardSort as an entire lot, what would the lowest amount I would receive per pound? I certainly don't expect them to sort them for me but would be willing to sell and chalk it up to education. I am also very lucky to work in the IT field so my supply is normally constant. I just began sending boxes of stuff to Chris, mostly CPU's and RAM, and I must say I am very pleased doing business with him. When I realized i had over 65 pounds of Gold Ram, it made me realize how many computers I have recycled over the past 5 years. I live in PA so I recycle the boards here, I just delivered 2200lbs of Hard Drives, MB Boards, Telco, and more big stuff, but it's better for me to send the smaller higher paying stuff to Chris.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:12 pm 
Site Admin

None of this post is relative any more (unless you have old old equipment and find gold alloy pins).
Boardsort buys all acceptable pins as one class rate now.