Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:56 pm

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:40 pm 

On Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:28 pm, within Things to Never Scrap, Lostinlodos wrote:

EDO memory
This stuff is so rare nothing on the boardsort list compares
I've brought up EDO ram before.
99% of EDO ram is silver finger,
Yet thanks to an essay that is extensively referenced; that was posted on http://www.scribd.Com titled the future of EDO (subscription required) we now have a more realistic estimate of EDO in the wild. 140-150 million EDO compatible boards.
Non working EDO sticks are since mid October averaging $10 per stick
Verified working (having some level of guarantee) are past $100 on the high end.

How can you identify EDO memory in the wild? Recently, I found these two sticks and, fortunately for me, they had nice little stickers on them saying they were HP 8MB-EDO 60 DRAM.
Attachment:
HP 8MB-EDO 60 DRAM_1.jpg
HP 8MB-EDO 60 DRAM_1.jpg [ 2.1 MiB | Viewed 6901 times ]

What about these five sticks of silver edged RAM I pulled out of a Lexmark 4 Laser Printer? No EDO stickers. Does EDO memory only show up in computers? If they aren’t factory identified as EDO, what other ways are there to identify EDO memory in the wild?

Attachments:
Silver Ram from Lexmark 4 Laser Printer_1.jpg
Silver Ram from Lexmark 4 Laser Printer_1.jpg [ 2.15 MiB | Viewed 6901 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:32 pm 
Site Admin

Not ignoring you, I need to look up the part numbers to answer you correctly

By the way working those 8 meg hp sticks are $5-15 each.
As a matched pair you'll get a slight premium working or unknown. I'll hit the others today (Sunday) for you.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:08 pm 
Site Admin

EDO ram is found anywhere raw speed was needed with a high level of error control when speed and authenticity were prioritised over efficiency. I.e. Heat waste and power draw.
It can be found everywhere ram is used.

The top 4 are all FPRAM.
Working on the last one now.

Well the last one is a fluke. It's not in my database but a quick internet search says it's from a laserjet. (Postscript ram?)
But I don't have a datasheet on it so I can't tell you for sure. Assumption that it's the same printer? I would guess FPRAM since I can't imagine mixing a single EDO stick in with FPRAM as actual memory and having it work, but if the stick was in an entirely different location and not part of the same bank there's a good chance for EDO as that could well be a character process buffer and there EDO's speed with the downswing start makes sense; leading the memory instead of matching or following.
But all of this on the last stick is guessing on my part.
If you really want to kno for sure call HP parts and service toll free and ask. There's enough of these workhorses still in service they could pull the number up for you.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:37 pm 

Lostinlodos

I appreciate your sharing of your knowledge and all the work you do babying us noobs!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:44 pm 
Site Admin

Everyone is a n00b at some point.
:)

EDO has fallen a bit but not by much and even at $5 an 8 meg stick EDO is still the most valuable non-collectible component in unknown condition.
Anything under 1 meg and over 16 is extremely expensive though in working condition.