Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:30 pm

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:10 pm 

What grade will 3-1/2" floppy drive boards be?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:25 pm 
Site Admin

Many will be peripheral as long as it has gold pins and no transformers

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:17 pm 

Why is it that they don't go as cd/DVD drive boards?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:17 pm 
Site Admin

The vast majority of floppy disk controllers won't even qualify as midgrade if not for those heavy plate gold pins. If you think you've got something better than the average board feel free to post a photo and I'll be happy to look at it for you. :)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:23 pm 

I've around 100 floppy drives and cd/DVD drives that I haven't started breaking down yet and I was just curious as to what makes them less valuable than cd/DVD drives. But if I do happen to come across anything abnormal or that I think may be better grade I will certainly post pictures.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:05 am 

when cd/dvd/floppydrives rate was .10 per lb. I figured it was better to break down the cd/dvd drives to get more money but when the payout went to .16 I still made a little more on the drives but not as much. That being said the cd/dvd board rate is much higher than the rate we would get on floppy boards so it may be better to sell the full floppy to boardsort for .16 a lb. I did 400 cd/dvd drives this past winter hoping for a summer run to boardsort but I think the 300 floppy drives will go as is since I think it will give me more money. I have been saving for the past year or so for my first run. (retired now have the time to do it.) I weighed the dvd drives and the dvd boards and figured the price based on a pound of each with the going pay rate. The main reason I was ahead on the dvd drive boards was the fact that I had some old drives with full drive length boards in them. Also I scrapped the steel and electric motors at local junk yard. Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:42 pm 

Mdesscrapper,
I've only been messing with escrap for about 6 or 8 months, so I'm still trying to understand why some boards grade the way they do. I've messed with escrap once before probly 3 years ago and I now realize I got the shaft on some stuff back then because I just didn't know any better. So now I ask a lot of questions about everything.
Wow .10 lb I would have sold them whole as tin.
The problem with selling the whole floppy to Board Sort @ .16 lb is the shipping since I live in central east Texas. I could sell the whole floppy drive locally as tin for around .06 lb or break them down and sell the boards to Board Sort @ $1.25 lb and the housings locally for .06 lb.

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:42 am 

Looks like 1000 to 1200 miles one way for you so that sucks. I am Maryland Eastern Shore so I have 400 miles one way, only eight hours-long enough but doable. Looks like shipping your only option unless you can plan a nice vacation to the Great Lakes. LOL Of course unless we let each other know where we work out of, we don't know the distance travelled. I just retired so I hope to do my scrapping and vacationing same time. Now as far as scrapping I have been saving lightly for 15 years but really got serious about 3 years ago and started looking for scrap at really cheap prices when I could get it to hold for when I retired. I found Boardsort just about that time so I started reading the forum and joined about 2 years ago so I am learning with most everyone else thanks to the pros that are helping us. In my case with the option to hand deliver my scrap I kind of tear apart and weigh and figure best payout. The other considerations are time invested to do this and shipping cost since we must make profit.

Now my best advice is to read, read, read and read over all of the comments and look at the pictures in the forum from beginning to end as the forum is our homework to study, we may graduate in about 10 years. lol I take my own advice and sometimes I am up all night reading and looking at the pics on the forum

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:15 am 
Site Admin

Many floppy disk units have an aluminium base, not steel. Not all but many many.
So you're still better breaking them down despite what some of the nice helpful yards say (e.g. Iscrapapp).

From my experience once you totally dissect a few you'll figure out how they're put together and be able to find your own way around the screws

Personally most of the time I go for
Big aluminium shell
Motor
Board
Read head
Rest goes in steel shred

Remove the board
Unscrew the motor
Four to six screws hold the shell to the case
Yank the shell apart with robo or vise grips and snip the head out with shears or nail cutters

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:01 pm 

now I have more work with this last info I almost have to dismantle the floppy drives to see if they have aluminum since that would go with my copper and aluminum stashes. I take it that everyone doing e-scrap is also doing the common metals as well. It is nice that copper is going back up and looks like may hold for awhile. Of course this brings up the question of heatsinks whether to separate copper from the aluminum or sell complete. Any thoughts on this?