Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:16 am

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:22 am 
Reputable Seller

Does it matter if the toroidal inductors are removed from the mother boards (Or from any board)? The inductors / copper bearing motors are the iron donuts-shaped components with varnished covered copper wire looping around them. Sometimes they are on a ferrous post too.

Will removing them from boards reduce the evaluation-type? We know it reduces the weight, but would a board remain in its category if the copper bearing components were removed?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:01 pm 

I am not really able to answer your question but am wondering if the inductors you are asking about are on mother boards or are they on low grade brown board, power board or maybe on Peripheral Board?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:05 pm 
Reputable Seller

They can be found on just about any type of board. On low grade and mid grade, I pull them off as I can get more money selling the copper than I would selling the board as-is. Many of the smaller toroidal coils you can break with pliers and easily separate the metal, but others just leave as is and toss with your transformers/CBMs.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:34 pm 
Reputable Seller

I am curious mostly for mother boards. I am wondering if BoardSort prefers the copper on for mother board transactions, or if they don't care one way or the other. I get the impression they don't care and actually hoping that is the case because I have a box full of boards with CBMs on them and would love to have my kids unwind them to keep them busy :-)!

Thank you in advance!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:41 pm 
Site Admin

If you wanted to remove the copper coils that would be acceptable.

After the labor I am not sure it would be worth the effort.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:08 pm 

Good to know that they can be removed before selling. Fastest way to remove the copper from the ferrite (steel) is just hit it with a hammer.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:54 pm 

greytruck wrote:
Good to know that they can be removed before selling. Fastest way to remove the copper from the ferrite (steel) is just hit it with a hammer.

Yes. The entertainment value of smashing stuff with a hammer makes it almost worthwile to work for $0.47 an hour :)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:30 pm 
Reputable Seller

and when all else fails, get a bigger hammer!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:42 pm 

Quote:
The entertainment value of smashing stuff

...Entertainment value? Take one of those empty computer cases that has a lot of plastic on the outside, like those goofy Dell Optiplexes that fold open. Store it in a real cold place for 24 hours. Then bring it out to the pavement (you may want to also bring the camera), toss that puppy up in the air as high as you can, with some good spin for effect...There's nothing more satisfying than seeing all that plastic explode all over the place when it lands, especially if you've done some IT.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:40 pm 

BSOD wrote:
Quote:
The entertainment value of smashing stuff

...Entertainment value? Take one of those empty computer cases that has a lot of plastic on the outside, like those goofy Dell Optiplexes that fold open. Store it in a real cold place for 24 hours. Then bring it out to the pavement (you may want to also bring the camera), toss that puppy up in the air as high as you can, with some good spin for effect...There's nothing more satisfying than seeing all that plastic explode all over the place when it lands, especially if you've done some IT.

I've had fun with way too many of those plastic Dell cases, run over a few at once with a Geo metro, Many have suffered a Mosburg 500 shotgun, there are 6 at the bottom of our pond as filled with cement as anchors for the dock. Going to have to try the freezing and I still have 40+ of those cases.