Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:47 am

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:28 pm 

Hi,

Just wanted to see if the metal cover plate on the card, not the bracket, needed to be removed.

Attachments:
FullSizeRender(8).jpg
FullSizeRender(8).jpg [ 959.62 KiB | Viewed 7911 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:00 pm 
Site Admin

If at all possible (not riveted or soldered) please remove the cover

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:38 pm 
Reputable Seller

This is solely my opinion, but if you go to the current payout rates and then click on the "description" for GFC, it says:

"Finger cards are PC cards such as ISA,PCI and APG slot cards. You may leave the metal bracket on them. These must have the fingers on the card."

It seems the only requirement is that the fingers "must" be on the card.
It doesn't say anything about "removing" anything.

Example: APG is a type of video card that normally have heat sinks and fans, and I've never removed any of those from them.

I can't see why you would need to remove anything from this card in question.

Again, this is just my OPINION

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:37 pm 
Site Admin

Elsewhere it states that any oversized heatsinks, fans, wires, and excess metal (not the mounting brackets) need to be removed

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:08 am 

lodos is right... I've talked to the graders in the past... basically if it isn't soldered to the board, remove it.

Some of your higher grade telecom stuff will have mounting brackets and support bars screwed to the boards and they can add up to a pound in weight.

One or two in a load, they probably wont say anything... multiple cards that require 'excess material' removal and you could get charged for it.... and it is just kind of a courtesy to remove anything extraneous.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:20 pm 
Reputable Seller

"Elsewhere it states that any oversized heatsinks, fans, wires, and excess metal (not the mounting brackets) need to be removed"

HI Lost,
Thanks for the reply ,and please don't take this as sarcasm, but could you help me with where " elsewhere " is, i've tried the search,and i admit that I'm not very good with it,but I can't find what you are talking about as it relates to gold finger cards, the reason I ask is I have sent in many video cards with fans and heat sinks before and didn't have any problem?, but maybe it's different now?
also, let me clarify that I am talking about standard size video cards,not the Huge gaming cards with giant fans and heat sinks, as i most certainly remove that stuff
Thanks in advance !

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:55 pm 
Site Admin

boardsort.com/escrapforum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=32&p=96&hilit=Heatsinks#p96

But I've fairly well stated issues with heatsinks, fans, brackets, skeletons and covers in numerous posts. Dealing primarily with older equipment and non computer boards I've come across almost every conceivable layout that ISO has classed. Giving me a unique perspective on metals being attached. And extensive (sorry for all the trouble Chris) discussion on what is and is not acceptable to them.

Fans, always remove

Heatsinks (aluminium or copper) if it's a quarter of the board in size or larger remove it. Smaller can stay

Steel heatsinks MUST be removed

Covers, shields, and sheets. If it's not completely soldered it SHOULD be removed.

As a courtesy Most soldered shields have four solder points and can be removed with minimal effort with a #2 standard screwdriver and minor force
You don't have to though.

Skeletons are long thin sheets of steel used for multiple reasons. You'll rarely find them in computers. For users here you'll most likely see them in candy bar cell phones and A/V equipment.
Anything with a skeleton should be posted on the boards for a review.

Nobody is saying you've not gotten them through without a downgrade; we're pointing out that if you /have/ you've been lucky. Keep in mind that boardsort has every reason to downgrade an entire shipment if it's tarnished. Any scrap buyer is like that; myself included.

Boardsort prides itself on being one of the highest paying buyers of escrap. They do this by buying SORTED materials and reducing overhead.
A tarnished shipment (fans on mobos and finger cards etc) well one error opens the likelihood of multiples. And therefore the whole shipment needs to be reviewed, taking extra time and labour. The reductions are an offset.
Keep in mind the average 40mm fan weighs about 2 ounces and an 80mm up to 5
If everybody sent one fan attached to a board, we'll, that's the issue.
The scrap metal equivalent
Any dunce can stick a double a (AA) battery in a soda can and get away with it. Soda cans are melted en mass. That single battery will DESTROY the value of the entire melt. The refinery will make note of who sent that batch of cans and pay half as much or less the next time. The scrap yard will offer all of us less for our cans from now on. The yard will eventually find out WHO sold them "loaded" cans and ban them (an may possibly bring legal action!). You stick a battery in a can here or there and get that extra few ounces, pounds,, sure; eventually you will get caught and banned.
Now boardsort isn't going to cause any trouble over a fan or missed button cell on a board. But they're going to catch it eventually
You'll get multiple warnings
Eventually they'll simply stop doing business with you.
Beyond that we're all a symbiotic community here. If we all use best practices and clean junk from boards properly we'll be rewarded by (Chris) honest companies with even smaller margins for even higher payouts (closer to spot and/or melt).
We all benefit from being courteous.

Does anyone want to contribute to us all ALL getting $1.80 instead of $1.90 or $2.00.
That's what these minor curtsies MLS pointed out get for us all. You can make an extra 50cents today and eventually get docked or banned; or we can all get a consistent extra few percentage points forever.
Generally speaking I even REMOVE BRACKETS. Why? Because if 10 of us remove brackets we will see a few cents bump over all in pricing. If 100 of us remove brackets we'll start to see changes in payouts. If everyone removed every bracket gold finger card and MOBO rates would see a significant jump.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:16 pm 
Reputable Seller

Thank you Lost for posting that link, I searched for over an hour
( wasted time ) trying to find what you were talking about.
I am attaching photos of what I was talking about, perhaps I should have done that to begin with.
This will be the very last time I make a post on this board,so when you get to the end and want to ban me,no worries,I have no intention of EVER making another post here.
As you have probably not noticed I joined the board shortly after it was created, more than a year before you did,and it also says " reputable seller" under my user name.
I realize you are a moderator here and I'm sure that gives you a HUGE ego boost.
I want to address what this thread was originally about to start with, the card in question, the part in question has nothing to do with the pics in the link or is even remotely related,also there is nothing in boardsorts description stating this should be removed.-it's nothing more than you're "opinion",and you didn't say that.,you were speaking as if you worked there.
Which brings me to the next question of you accusing me of being some type of Villain: you're analogy:
"Do you really want to be the reason we ALL get $1.80 instead of $1.90 or $2.00. That's what these minor curtsies MLS pointed out get for us all. You can make an extra 50cents today and eventually get docked or banned; or we can all get a consistent extra few percentage points forever."
THIS IS TOTALLY FALSE and UN-FOUNDED,,
I 100% resent this accusation: -and I hope others will now question your motivations / and for making an attack on someone you know absolutely NOTHING about !! I have sold hundreds of pounds over the years and never once had anything questioned
I'm not going to explain any further here, since you think you're "the man" who knows all,call Chris and ask him.
Thanks for reminding me why I should never get involved in conversations on boards like these with egotistical people.
I would suggest that people who have questions about their boards,you would be better served to contact Chris w/photos for an EXACT quote of what you have
Also This: Lost's disclaimer:" my grades are my own and do not represent an offer from boardsort, nor are they guaranteed. Please keep that in mind"(Opinion)
NOT Chris @boardsort.com

Attachments:
gfc-cards 015.JPG
gfc-cards 015.JPG [ 116.03 KiB | Viewed 7783 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:16 am 
Site Admin

I see you took that personally and that's not what I was trying to do.
If you took it as an attack i apologise it was a generation.
It was a general statement. I did say it was a general idea. I've never tried to represent myself as anything other than who I am. It's also quite clearly stated under each of my posts that my grades are my own and not from boardsort.
Like MLS I've also been told directly that the fans need to come off boards.
Heatsink guidelines are generally inferred from other posts by scob89 and kgryczan, long before I started posting my experiences with sending materials to boardsort.
As for the new photos posted here; heatsink can stay, I personally am of the opinion based on what I've been told, and what can be deduced from various other discussions predating my arrival; that that fan should be removed.
And I've no intention of banning you. Banning someone over a difference of opinion is petty. Not to mention abusive.
Again I'm sorry you took it personally; I very much could have laid that out better.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:14 am 

To start I have been retail salesman in auto repair for 49 years dealing with the public, so hoping that will be taken into consideration when I say many times things are said or written that depending on who hears or reads the item is taken in a way that is not meant. The written word does not convey the same information due to lack of personal interaction and also most people are thinking much more than they write and the meaning gets misconstrued. I did a search of heatsinks on the forum and went to the older posts and there was confusion back then even with boardsort input. Maybe the best idea maybe to get Chris to post a clarification of what he expects on the finger cards and what to take off. I also know that time could have changed what is expected now over what was written back in 2014. Time and the market change expectations I am sure.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next