Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:08 pm

Post subject: Laptop Screen Panels?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:29 pm 

Do non-working laptop screens -- completely bare -- have any value?
What about if they include the bezel, hinges, and back cover?

If they don't have any value, how and where does one dispose of them?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:17 pm 
Site Admin

I keep them till I have 25-50 lbs and then sell them to an LCD buyer.
Boardsort doesn't take most of the screen
They'll accept the boards (usually peripheral)
the wires (mixed wire)
And you can snipe and sold fingers off the wires, cleanly, and put them with clean gold fingers. But the screen itself isn't something they take.
Just google sell broken LCD or something similar to find buyers.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:34 pm 

Thank you. I appreciate your response very much.
Dimitrios --

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:56 pm 
Site Admin

There's a surprising amount of value on old screens, from repairing to recycling. There are places that will pay out over $20 after shipping, for 40" plus tv screens. With specific exceptions laptop screens tend to be between 75c-$2each but the spread is massive (50c-$10) depending on other things.
It's not as easy as dumping them on a scale and walking away with cash, you need to fill out a bit of information to get better prices, like damage type, cracks, bleeding, etc but some places pay quite a bit for something most people just give up for free.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:06 am 

Thank you very much for your reply. I appreciate you taking the time to respond.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:40 pm 

Could someone please give me the name of one or two places that buy flat screens from tv's, laptops and pc's.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:58 pm 
Site Admin

google lcd screen link

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:26 pm 

Thank you

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:07 pm 
Site Admin

Sorry for the short reply above:
This is a specific type of waste where I’m not willing to directly reference any single company. A quick patent search shows there’s literally many hundreds of different screen designs. There’s different formulations not just between manufacturers but right down to differences in chemical makeup within the same series; even the same models. You could sell two identical monitor screens and get $5 for one and 50c for the other. An extreme example but it has happened to me. And that would be a screaming rant on the forum for a first time seller.
You can make money buying (or collecting) lcd and plasma screens and flipping them, even broken. But it’s an extremely volatile market place. Some are after the pm content, others the rare earths, transition metals, and a few deal with the acids and gases directly. Pm aside, rare earths and gases are such a wild market price wise you could literally get orders of magnitude differentiation between two days or even the same day.
There’s also many ways they are traded, the screens. Some buy them whole, remove it at the hinge and throw it in a box. Others will buy bare screens with all the connections etc removed, still others will buy no matter the condition.
There’s so much room for surprise and error I’ve always said the same about it here:
Yes you can make money, good money. Do your own research. Talk to people. Talk to the companies. Know what they expect and tell them exactly what you’re sending. Don’t expect a price upfront. Atleast not a fix in stone price. That almost doesn’t exist outside of mint full working displays.

Don’t give up when you spend $20 shipping a 70 inch plasma and get $3 for it. Be cautious of any company who buys disassembled or scrapped screens and pays for shipping; they’re making that money back somewhere. Equally be cautious of any large buyer of working screens who won’t pay for shipping; if you don’t have a fixed price up front. Etc etc etc...!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:21 am 

Thanks again. You've been very helpful.