Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:27 pm

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:22 pm 

Hello all! Reddit sent me this way, I need to start getting creative on how my company processes its E-Cycle. The problem right now is we are pulling in about 10 pallets of equipment a day and our facility is only 7000 sq ft and we are currently occupying 13000 sq ft. Almost all of it is computers, laptops, LCD Monitors, projectors, printers, networking, medical, and misc obsolete IT equipment that businesses come across when they are trying to clear out a room.

Ideally I would like to fill up gaylords, when I get up to 12 full I would drop them off at Boardsort when we are doing a job in the area. What would be the best balance of work put in to profit? I'm thinking about pulling all boards then scrapping the metal locally but there is too much volume and not enough room to sort down to get maximum payout. Is there such thing as an intermediary? A company that breaks it down for a percentage of the profit?

I'm looking forward to your input!

Ryan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:47 pm 

Where about are you located?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:26 pm 

Milwaukee, WI servicing a 6 state area

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:32 pm 

well, damn... that rules out coming to work for you! :P

I think your plan of ripping things apart and bringing stuff to the local yards is the best way to do it... Maybe check with your yards to see if they do a pick up service, or a like a bin pickup service... that might help with keeping things from accumulating too much at you facility.

You might have to think about finding a bigger location. Do you have people already dismantling stuff? or are you the only one doing it?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:04 pm 

I have a crew of 8, 5 of which are on the warehouse side. Always hiring if anyone is in SE WI! Most of the labor is spent testing and inventory of the product with known value that sell easily as complete units. That product alone has our books in the green, and it's only about 20% of the stuff we get in. Local scrappers get the metal and we started pulling some boards but I'm just learning what to look for. (Is there a sticky or a good resource for people trying to learn?) Also as a tree-hugger I would feel more confident in my business if everything is getting the opportunity to get used again or recycled instead of filling up a landfill. Also more profit would help put a dent in these bills Uncle Sam keeps sending me!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:23 pm 

Sounds like you have a nice operation going there! If I was closer I would have to seriously think about trying to work something out :p But alas, the 8 hour commute would be a killer!

I would imagine if you look into the bulk rate shipping or if you drive the stuff yourself that a trip to boardsort would be rather lucrative. you might have to think about what grades would be your low cutoff points as far as what is worth shipping, but Im sure there is a decent amount to be made.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:09 pm 
Site Admin

My what’s inside has all sorts of not normal stuff on them.
A good place to find quality stuff in the strangest places.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:17 pm 
Site Admin

arcmw wrote:
Milwaukee, WI servicing a 6 state area

Oh; you’re in Chicago! Lol.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:21 pm 

Yup pretty much Chicago. Only an hour out, but there at least twice a week. I am driving past boardsort next week, thinking if I can bring down about 300 i5 Dell laptops. Do the "Partial non-working Laptops" category need the CPU chip?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:58 pm 

for partials, their only requirement is that the screen is intact (no broken or bleeding screens) and the motherboard is inside.