Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:55 pm

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:24 pm 

And does this normally only work well for large bulk quantities? I checked UPS and USPS, and it looks like shipping would eat up almost my entire profit.
I even tried excluding the heavier scibble scabble and it's still not good.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:30 am 
Site Admin

I use Fedex. As others have suggested.
Usps and UPS go by weight per package. Laws of averages
How much does a trailer weigh.

Fedex charges more on girth than weight. How many boxes can fit in the trailer.

As an extreme and rarity since I never have enough boxes to do so: I can send 100 lbs in 50 small industry shipping coded “ac” boxes for $35. Via Fedex. Or 100lbs in one box for $92.
I think the general best practice is if you have under 500lbs put it in as many small boxes as you can (within reason, don’t send 500 1lb boxes, Chris will kroke) and use Fedex.
You can ship slightly discounted Fedex via PayPal.
If you use eBay, sell on amazon, etc you can join a partnership account as a sub account and get massive discounts on top of that.

If you’re sending over 500 lbs, or have pallets/gayloards send them via LTL trucking. There’s a few users here in the business threads that work with boardsort users, and uShip is also good most of the time.
UShip is private owner operators with anything from small suv/vans to double and triple trailer class A truckers.

Low grade and midgrade are not profitable to ship unless you’ve got tonnage to send.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:28 pm 

A word to the wise.....using UShip.com. Make sure you measure your shipping container and weigh the the shipping container.

LTL carriers will weigh and measure the container, if you have under estimated the weight or size they will slap you with extra charges and they aren't nice either.

The first shipment I sent in I for got to add the weight of the crate and it cost me an extra $.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:49 am 

If your shipping enough to ship via LTL then give me a call 814-443-6389 I will beat UShips price 95% of the time.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:37 pm 
Site Admin

Being accurate was implied but yes; be accurate!

Uship is like any other middleman service. Sometimes you get a great driver sometimes not. Same with Uber and cabs etc.
Personally while I wouldn’t be mad about it I would up your rate too.

Shipping is cutthroat. Every gram, grain, is make or break.
If your off on an LTL load you could really screw your driver on other loads.
That few pounds you forgot could have your, or someone else’s, load left on the curb rather than in the trailer. Been there. If you’re load is $100 and his is 101 and yours is over weight and over my weight sorry I’m leaving yours behind.
The most profitable uShip drivers will offer the lowest bids, and pack their trailer with less than truck load orders till it’s full.
When you look at it that way it makes sense.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:05 am 

lostinlodos wrote:
If you use eBay, sell on amazon, etc you can join a partnership account as a sub account and get massive discounts on top of that.

How do I do that? FedEx rates thru eBay are crazy cheap but all I can figure is print another shipping label from a prior sale and modify the shipping address to boardsort's....which, while works, probably confuses the heck out of the eBay buyer who gets a random second shipping notification a month after their order

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:06 pm 
Site Admin

fedex ebay user discounted account page
You would then setup a personal Fedex account through this and use the Fedex website, not ebay, for all your Fedex shipping.

There’s other discounted partnership programs too, like Alibris and PayPal.

Some are better than others. While the actual rates are bound to non disclosure in these programs, do some research and figure out what group you use would be the highest Fedex shipping company and use that group program for the best rates.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:02 am 

UPS and USPS are having expensive shipping but have reliable service. As of my experience, they are diligent with work and responsive with the customer query.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:44 am 
Site Admin

leslietomb95; if you don’t mind my asking... have you had any trouble with your host? There’s been some reports of their Nevada data centre servers being flaky but others swear by their UK and Romanian locations.
I always figured that was from the Onion and Garlic router end points being operated in the US and thus having the heaviest load balancing in place.