Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:49 am

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:09 am 

How much gold would you guess is on this cable remote? (I know it can't be a very accurate guess.) I'm attaching a front and back photo of the cable box remote control's PCB. It has gold plating on the front and on the back. The board is 7" tall and 1.5" wide. The photo of the back of the remote (the second photo) appears to be much wider. But the back side of the remote is only 4" tall in the picture because I cut out the top part of the board which had no components.

Attachment:
remote with gold.jpg
remote with gold.jpg [ 80.73 KiB | Viewed 2656 times ]

Also, what would this board count as were I to sell these to Boardsort?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:43 am 
Site Admin

Ohkay the easy part first. 42 states have recovery protection laws that all you to remove any and all trash that has been clearly placed as such. A dumpster or garbage can is clearly fair game under those laws, even if the containers are on private property.
So long as you do not need to violate controlled access to reach it. That means no climbing over fences or cutting locks. A cable company isn’t going to shoot you but castle law does outweigh recovery law so do ring the bell before you wonder into someone’s back yard to access a trash can.

How much gold on that remote? MLS is more knowledgeable in this stuff than I am. But I’ve seen reports of around 1/10th pennyweight. NOT including components ON the board. Or under $5 total clean gold value.
But that doesn’t account for cost in acid, bases, materials, etc.

My own experience says you’ll net around 10-25 cents after accounting for all the costs involved, per board. But again refining isn’t my forte.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:47 am 
Site Admin

Note by clean I refer to 20kt or above.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:57 pm 

not much... typical gold plating on newer electronics runs around $0.35 per square inch... obviously that can change depending on the application. ENIG plating is much thinner and runs much less then that.

I would be surprised if there was even $0.50 worth of gold on that... by the time you figure in chemicals/time/effort/waste treatment, its a loosing proposition for a home refiner.