Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:08 am

Post subject: escrap buyout
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:48 pm 

just called him again and now it is 2 laptops and 10-12 maybe 15 towers.
he also has printers power cords power supplies cables

if i buy all of it for $40 can i make any money on this because i intend to strip them down and scrap them

main question is are old towers made of steel
if they are plastic that will be alot of plastic to recycle
any thoughts
thanks for reading this post

Post subject: Re: escrap buyout
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:27 pm 
Site Admin

At 15 towers and two laptops you’ll be around $30-$35 in scrap on the low end depending on what’s in them, assuming they have at the least the motherboard and power supply.
The main board from a full size laptop will (almost) always go as large socket. But the last 5-10 years all sorts of bizarre semi proprietary boards have been used so laptops are more hit or miss these days.
Towers are all over the place. You could get a full complement ps/1 tower with an 8086 and socketed gold cap chips like mana, a video card that goes as gold cap chip board and get cards with upgrades on inspection due to the value.
Or... you could get a dell business services computer that is so modular and low value even the motherboard goes as peripheral. Expansions are socketed instead of finger cards, and everything is junk.

I got a pallet stack of tower HPs once for $10. They had cases and power supplies and bricks. Like brick bricks. Turns out they were used as door stops and I should have asked. Ideally you know WHAT is in it to some degree before you buy it. These days I target under $5 for any sight unseen condition unknown. And prefer to be between $1-$3. You’re right in that target rate I aim for.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:59 am 

your right where i like to be as well ..i would not worry about something like that as it would make my cash back just in the metal and wire part of the scrap.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:22 am 

Just to put in my two cents worth I also think the worth of most towers $5 at most. Then you add in cost of gas even if items close say 15 miles one way your good ole truck is going to cost you $5 plus parking and your time spent and all of this just to pick up items and not counting breakdown time invested and efforts needed to deliver to Boardsort. This being said 15 towers times 5 equals $75, you may end up with $20 profit.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:59 am 
Site Admin

Oh, by the way I still made money off those brick computers. I sold the bricks to a construction and paving supplier for $25. Plus the scrap.
Sold the pallet too for $5.
Forget lemonade. I like the joke saying:
When life gives you lemons find someone to whom life gave vodka and enjoy the sunset together!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:57 am 

Spoken like the true pro scrapper that you are. LOL

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:02 pm 

lostinlodos wrote:
Oh, by the way I still made money off those brick computers. I sold the bricks to a construction and paving supplier for $25. Plus the scrap.
yeap ....
i dont know any of the details of how much there where,when this was what kinda brick they where ect... but i can tell you there are bricks that are worth more then a ton of scrap at that particular time

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:05 pm 
Site Admin

mdesscrapper wrote:
Spoken like the true pro scrapper that you are. LOL

Lol. Thanks.
Point of the second post is no matter how bad your ‘mistake’ looks at first glance. Don’t give up. There’s ALWAYS a way.
evilrick81 wrote:
i dont know any of the details of how much there where,when this was what kinda brick they where ect... but i can tell you there are bricks that are worth more then a ton of scrap at that particular time

They were the size/shape of your standard red brick but were a sort of off white grey like colour. Little darker than cinderblocks but for the size weighed a LOT more than any full size CB I ever saw. Was more happy I got my money back and then some than considering why they were worth money. But your right.
I sell scrap barium to at a relatively close quarry. None of my scrap yards want it but at night they run barium blocks through their machines for lube and are happy to pay me $2 per lb. every time for years now.
I’d be hauling that stuff 20 miles to a hazmat drop off if not for them. Always look for options and never give up. When the box fails look outside it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:37 pm 

never had a quarry pay me for anything however back in the late 90's they would trade us rock for other materials