Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:38 am

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:17 pm 

Compaq Presario 850 (CPU 486 DX2), do I Scrap it or Sell it in some capacity?

PRD

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:02 pm 
Site Admin

Fully working you’re looking around $20-$35

Honestly if it boots to dos/windows whatever I’d be inclined to scrap it and sell the ram online.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:07 am 

Wait...there's resale value in old RAM? Well crap...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:13 pm 
Site Admin

When it works, yes.
The market if very volatile .
It cou be $5 today, $50 on Wednesday and $3 on Friday
But the value is there. It’s a product that works best on ebay as fixed price 30 day buy it now sales. As opposed to auctions, . So that you don’t get 50 bids on Wednesday and have them all cancel out on Friday when the price tanks again.

I’ve been suggesting memtest for a while as my go to tool for testing ram on working and semi working computers. It’s a bootable live disk. And you can put it on a floppy, usb stick, or CD-ROM.
It’s free, and well not fully open source the components are all available individually elsewhere if you ever wanted to break it down. Or are an open source advocate.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 10:44 pm 

Hey Lost, can you be more specific on what older RAM has value on eBay?

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 3:41 pm 
Site Admin

Sure.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 4:08 pm 
Site Admin

Alright, that was a joke. ;)

First off my favourite (and I’m always buying on ebay) is edo!

Edo is all over the board in value. A 1 meg stick can get you $5 in the morning and $25 in the afternoon!
The thing I keep telling people about edo is PLEASE SELL any edo ram you have working or not. The price doesn’t show it well but edo ram doesn’t exist in any quantity. It was produced in very low quantity for a very short time. And it’s needed in the industrial industry as much as the retro collectors field.
Whatever you get, consider it helping the computer industry as a whole.

On to the money.
$$$$
Dip and sip ram chips that work and have straight pins (not damaged).
Varies on size and format but usually a few dollars per kB. Up to 2mb chips
Anything larger runs in the $5 range or so up to 16 meg. Beyond 16 meg you’re looking at proprietary stuff and there’s no guessing there. Penny’s or hundreds. Who knows.
Zip ram. Zigzag in-line pins. Finding zip with straight pins is difficult and as such zip commands a premium much in the realm of edo. Starting prices are a few dollars per kB but single chip expansion memory (fast ram) above a meg quickly climbs to mid double digits. 8 megs will get near $100.

Short sticks
20 pin Simms. Usually $40-$60 per stick regardless of size
28 pin Simms. A few dollars per stick
30/32/38 pin Simms. A few dollars per stick
60 pin Simms. Don’t really exist. Well, they do but they don’t.
60/62 pin Simms were used by DEC and sub licensed mini computers. Most of these are still in use today. The vast majority of what shows up in public is from Amiga cards, and had to have the module snipped loose.
With cut notches $20-$30 per module.
Without notches considerably more. But there’s no recent sales on any of the services that have sold values that I can find.
Most aren’t marked at all. The grail of sorts here is non snipped DEC chips at 128mb which run in the hundreds or more and are usually in the hands of collectors creating an artificial market for their value.
72 pin Simms. Barely better than a disme a dozen.
Most of these run a few dollars each. Find some higher capacity ones like 256mb and 512mb and you can climb to the mid $50s or so.
I’ve heard of, but never seen, 1 gB modules. Sky’s the limit on something like that.

Dimm sticks
This is modern ram. DDR sticks. It would take hundreds of pages to quote out everything. Best suggestion is to enter the id (eg 1333, 1866) or the class (eg pc2700, pc3500) in ebay. Choose filter and click the sold button or box. That will give you a range.

Other stuff:
Ram cards, stacked modules, SSDs, etc. All worth actual money.
DDR has a weird jump in the DDR2 range which I’m not smart enough to figure out the why on. Keep an eye on that. It’s been there for a while now.

Ram “farm” cards. These are ISA, XTB, Zorro III, etc. They look like a mad cross between a riser card and a volatile memory SSD. They either are for expansion of system (chip) ram or used as super fast paging drives.
They run $25 empty and $50-$250 with occupied sockets or soldered ram when working.
Battery backed volatile SSDs start at around $200 for 25 GiB cards. They look like ram risers and have lots of perpendicular ram sticks semi-permanently installed. And a giant lithium battery that looks like a 9volt on steroids.

DDR4 runs around $10-$12 per gb on average with highs and lows.
Except 32, 64, and 128 gb sticks which have a premium of $20-$25 per gb.

DDR3 $3-$6 per Gb
DDR2 $2-$10 per fab with 4 and 8 gig sticks having a premium of up to $15 per gb
DDR $1-$4 per gig
RAMBus (legitimate RAMBus) is all I’ve the place, take what you can get.
GDR modules for graphics expansion run $50-$100 on average. Not expensive but very few cards are expandable in the first place. Being rare has no real markup if there’s no use for it.
If there’s anything I’m missing just ask.