Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:28 am

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 12:10 am 

Yes, you can make some money on working systems and of course when I said I upgraded using govdeals what I would do is buy the cpu's towers and take the ram and add to my personal towers (i.e. if has 4 slots and 2 have ram I would put 2 more sticks in from other tower and scrap what is left). It is cheaper to buy ram that way. If you are lucky to get hard drives you can upgrade by adding to personal tower as a slave drive.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 12:18 am 

I think mostly in terms of windows since I don't do much with the other os's out there. But yes, Lost you are right with the choices of os's out there this lot does have some good towers that are in demand somewhat. Of course price determines demand. And of course if you have the right cost you can boost the ram and storage of units for ebay using other towers to get better price and movement of items.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 1:44 am 
Site Admin

I believe you may have misunderstood.
I actually have one single drive that I can plug into any SATA/SAS or (via adapter) ATA and SCSI based computer.
On it I have a boot helper, the above listed OSs, and a few others.
Each is a “live” image with a similar set of diagnostic tools.

Plug it in, turn it on, figure out what does or doesn’t work.
Basically tells me what works and what doesn’t, a guide of sorts for repair, salvage, or give up and scrap.

I don’t sell computers with hard drives, and have mentioned many times here it’s more a risk than any boost in value for the system is worth.

The premise here is a simple $200 SSD and a few $20 adaptors can allow you to save hundreds, thousands, of hours in lost time testing dead systems.
There’s many tutorials out there on setting up such a drive. Each has it’s own spin on what tools to use for what. Personally I have ALWAYS defaulted to Debian because, to steal a MAC phrase, it just works.
The others are for fallbacks.
Some Dell and HP systems choke on Linux without major configuration, and work fine on windows.
Micro Debian PPC is also the only pure Linux I’ve found runs on 100% of PPC computers, Mac and Amiga included.

All said when you’re staring at the quantity listed in either of these auctions a one shot boot disk is the way to go whatever OSs you choose.
Pull any drive installed in the unit, plug yours in. Boot. Run diagnostics. Make decisions. Move on.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 2:11 am 

I did understand that you have your diag tools that you can check out all computers easily. I had forgotten that you have said that you stay away from selling working hard drives because of the grief that you get from the few people that want to get over on you when you know it was right when you sent it out but they say that is was not when they received it. The units that I sell working I deliver in person and make sure that they know that it is right before I leave and of course that works small (very small) scale. I have seen some items on ebay as is and may or may not work which if you can make a profit moving your items this way and you don't have much time invested all to the good. I have bought a couple boards for some big tv's that were given to me and I made out fine so you just have to take your chances.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 11:45 pm 

BTW, the sale of material I posted closed at about $9500. I dont know who thinks they can make out like that, but it seems like WAYYYYYYY too much to me.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 11:52 pm 
Site Admin

well just on the first 38, assuming they are salvageable at $100 that's 38000 dollars