Welcome to Boardsortâ„¢ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:00 pm

Post subject: paying for scrap
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:44 pm 

Hello all. I was wondering if it would be profitable to pay for whole computers and cell phones by the pound(.08/lb for towers 1.50/lb for phone w/battery) then break them down to sell components to boardsort? How much does one clean cell board weigh? I know mobos are about a pound each so if I was paying 1.50 per computer the mono alone would make up the costs per unit. Not to mention ram, finger cards, HD boards, mixed wire and a few mid grade boards. This seems very doable. Boardsort does the same thing right? And Chris would still get all my business(unless I deal with places looking for certificate of destruction on hard drives.)

Post subject: Re: paying for scrap
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:26 pm 
Reputable Seller

For some places, that may be a route to go. I would offer to buy scrap, obsolete, or unwanted inventory from computer shops as a source of possible revenue. As for weight of individual components figure on the following:

stick of RAM: 1/25 pound
cell phone board (RF shields removed): around an ounce or so
hard drive board: Varies based on age of the board. Older boards weigh more.
fingered cards: varies based on size and type of cards. Weigh the card after removing excess materials such as GPU heatsinks. Mounting brackets can remain on if you choose.

Mixed wire I would sell to boardsort only if you are local to them. Otherwise, sell as insulated wire to your local scrap yard. I would offer to buy extra power supplies at shred metal price in your area (anywhere between .06 and .10/pound), then take the time to break them down to recover the transformers and wire.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:20 am 

Basically, what I wanted to do was offer local volunteer fire departments and school programs(football, cheer leading, pta) either a cut rate on recovered value or a price per pound. Then you let them do the collecting while you offer new revenue to their all donation funded programs. These types of organizations are always digging for revenue. If I could offer them an easy way to raise funds and make money myself it would be win win.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:53 pm 

FYI: I took some misc. electronic scrap to the yard and got paid 15 cents per pound. He dumped it into a bin filled with full computers rich with cards. After 2 weeks of discussion, they've offered to sell me the computer scrap for $1 per pound. I plan to be there Monday morn to dig through one of their containers for the first time.

The gist that I got from the entire interchange is that no one ever asked them before and they are quite happy to be making 85 cents per pound profit without doing any work.

Keep an eye out for printer/toner cartridges while you're scrapping. [url]TonerBuyer.com[/url] will pay you cash for many of them while providing a pre-paid shipping label. I don't own the place or get a commission. Just like to brag on legit biz.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:04 pm 

barelythere wrote:
Hello all. I was wondering if it would be profitable to pay for whole computers and cell phones by the pound(.08/lb for towers 1.50/lb for phone w/battery) then break them down to sell components to boardsort? How much does one clean cell board weigh? I know mobos are about a pound each so if I was paying 1.50 per computer the mono alone would make up the costs per unit. Not to mention ram, finger cards, HD boards, mixed wire and a few mid grade boards. This seems very doable. Boardsort does the same thing right? And Chris would still get all my business(unless I deal with places looking for certificate of destruction on hard drives.)

I would recommend you pay a flat rate for computers and buy cellphones by the pound. Also, don't strip down to the board on cellphones, remove the battery and sell them as cellphones without battery, currently $4 a pound.