Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:43 am

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:13 pm 

Hi. I know about how much a regular tower computer will scrap for, but have no experience with laptops. A local auction house has several lots of Getac B300 rugged laptops. The drawback is that the harddrives have been removed. No word on whether the battery is intact and in place. If the unit with HD and battery weighs 7.7, does anyone have a figure on the weight with the HD removed? I have no interest in scrapping other than buying the lots (approximately 100-150 units) and delivering immediately. Basically the same deal is available on Panasonic rugged laptops, CF-31? at a weight of about 8 1/2 pounds intact. but again, minus the harddrive and maybe the battery but only about 60 available. While buying and delivering from my location with only the laptops is not feasible or cost effective, two or three dozen could be fitted in a load to help defray expenses, provided I get them at a reasonable price, which I figure is roughly two bucks each or less.
Anyone with experience care to comment?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:21 am 

Dave,

In my experience, whole or partial laptops aren't worth it unless you plan on showing up in person.
USPS flat rate boxes aren't practical for these, and UPS charges roughly .80-1.00 per pound to send stuff to Ohio (at least for me here in NY), so at .95/lb for the partial laptops, you're wasting your time sending these at all.
If you can get them cheap enough, and you plan on showing up in person, or stripping them entirely for their individual MB's,RAM, batteries, etc.. I wouldn't mess around with these.
I get them for free on a weekly basis and they are the biggest nuisance out of all the material that I get. They can be more profitable if they are newer and the LCD's are in demand (which you can sell) or the motherboards work (if you can verify it).
If not, you're looking at boat anchors with light large socket motherboards, a single piece of ram (usually), a battery and if you're lucky, some type of copper/aluminum heatsink. The rest is plastic, (unless you're into silver mylar refining) and a handful of other recyclable, non-profitable material.
Of course, the most profitable route here would be to fix/refurbish them if they were new enough, and attempt to re-sell them as working. As scrap, I wouldn't pay more than $1.00 each. I hesitate to even take them for free sometimes.

With that said, I think your reasoning is sound. Get them for no more than $2.00 each (if they weigh say 5 pounds as a partial unit, then youre looking at $4.75) and stuff a couple hundred pounds in your load the next time you go to boardsort to supplement your load.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:24 am 

Thanks for the comment. I usually have an aversion to buying for scrapping, being content with what is available as throwaways. I shy away from deals like these/ With 13 pallet lots, most likely the big boys/knowledgeable folks will know the worth, and bid accordingly, usually in the hundreds of dollars. A couple weeks ago, a pallet of apple boards and displays went for 160 and another for about 260. Sometimes when there is an odd pallet or two, it gets overlooked, and one is able to buy it for a 10 buck bid at the last call (25 is usually the stated minimum bid)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:21 pm 
Site Admin

If you were to actually take them apart to sell the scrap; Unless they’re High end gaming laptops like pre sell Alienware, Falcon, iBuyPower, Digital storm: which all have a lot of telco class stuff and often removable socketed CPUs; or pre Pentium mobile, think Pentium MMX, 486 etc, I’d suggest to normally stop at $1-$2 per unit.
On the higher end stuff you’re still safe at up to $3 most of the time
The real money is in early 90s laptops (and portables) where socketed Pentium and 486 chips make you major money if socketed. There isn’t a list of who used sockets and who used soldered BGA CPUs bit just my general experience puts the era at about 50/50 split. 386 was almost always socketed and most 386 laptops that don’t explicitly state SX or LX on the case will have an x87 chip as well that falls into the same 386/486 class. Your safe at $4 or so; or gamble at more.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:14 am 

Thanks for the information. While I will still look for laptops to recycle when the occasion arises, this particular auction deal, which is in the online preauction bidding stages, the Toughbook pallets have already passed $200 per pallet, or more than $20 per laptop.