Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:12 pm

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:34 pm 

What do you all think about DVD/CD Drives. Do you think it is cost efficient to take them apart. I took about 20 apart, it did not take me long about 30 minutes. But I figured I made just a little bit more than if I sold them whole. And the Floppy I believe that board is low grade correct?

So do you all take apart your DVD/CD or Floppy drives and is it worth it?

Mostly what I got that I seen was the board, a tiny motor and the rest steel, is there something else in there that is good?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:12 pm 
Site Admin

Generally I pull off the two boards and then toss the drive whole in my CBM bin. I can get them apart fairly quickly with many years practice and it’s still rarely worth it.

Exception: half height/laptop drives which have aluminium everywhere on better ones and pull a dollar or two in scrap parts.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:26 pm 

Thanks so much, it did not take me really any time to get the ones I took apart to the point of throwing them in steel. I do have some that are cast aluminum and those I usually take a part. But I guess I will be taking them all apart for now on.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:03 am 

lostinlodos wrote:
Generally I pull off the two boards and then toss the drive whole in my CBM bin. I can get them apart fairly quickly with many years practice and it’s still rarely worth it.

Exception: half height/laptop drives which have aluminium everywhere on better ones and pull a dollar or two in scrap parts.

well crap i've been throwing the body in my shred pile. Never even thought CBM would be an option...seemed like a ton of junk/low-end material to justify any other rate class.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:40 pm 
Site Admin

There’s two motors in there, one is usually an Al shell motor. Some aluminium, stainless steel. Wire. The laser array. Not all scrap yard will take it as CBM but it’s worth asking.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:29 am 

That is what I do, I take out the little motor(s) that are easy to get to. Then I take off what I think is the reader, I am hoping I can throw that into low grade board as that is where I have been putting them. Then I trash the rest in the steel. I take off as little plastic as I can as that is just taking weight off that could be steel pricing. So if getting the motor involves taking off the majority of the plastic I leave it. Now I have a whole gaylord box to get to, but maybe one day in the future.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:30 am 

lostinlodos wrote:
There’s two motors in there, one is usually an Al shell motor. Some aluminium, stainless steel. Wire. The laser array. Not all scrap yard will take it as CBM but it’s worth asking.

Forgot to ask, what is CMB?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:13 pm 

CBM is copper bearing motor (or material)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:46 pm 

Merkman wrote:
CBM is copper bearing motor (or material)

Got it, thanks so much.