Welcome to Boardsortâ„¢ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:58 am

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:37 pm 

We would like to ship by the pallet load to Boardsort.com. We are in NW Minnesota and are 1000 miles away (by road, according to Mapquest.)

Its hard to come up with even a hypothetical example to use, to get a shipping quote, without having done it once before. What I really need to get a bearing on is: What price per pound payed by Boardsort.com would we need just to pay the shipping? Then we can decide what's worth boxing up and what's not. Has anyone worked out a rule of thumb on this?

Are 4x4 wooden pallets typical? How high can the pallets be stacked? Do they have to be flat on top and support the weight of another pallet?

Can someone who has shipped by pallet give me an actual example of a.)How much weight you were able to pack onto one pallet? b.) What was the shipping charge (or the cost per pound?) d.)Where you are located (or an approximate distance shipped?)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:39 am 

I have just put together APX 480 pounds of cards to ship, 18 box's that will have to be set on a pallet, Cost from Omaha $476. I'm going to shop around to try and find a better rate.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:26 pm 

Thanks! So roughly a dollar a pound at 800 miles and roughly 4-500 pounds on a pallet. You said "cards" so I would assume those pack pretty densely compared to motherboards for example.

Do I assume correctly that the weight of the pallet itself is included in the freight
charges.

Can anyone else give us some actual examples for comparison?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:06 am 

The weight of the pallet must be included when getting shipping quotes. There are a number of sources for on-line quotes (freightquote, UPS, Fedex, uship). I use uship frequently. They have an auction style quoting system that allows carriers and owner operators to quote on your item. They also provide up-front quotes. It's important that you accurately represent the weight and dimensions when getting your quote. There are steep charges for over-weight/over size shipments. You should also know the class of your freight. If you're unsure, you can use a generic class such as (85 Machinery or parts NOI) for quoting and then confirm the commodity and class with the carrier/broker. This is especially important if you plan to insure the shipment. I hope this helps.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:59 pm 

Thank you. Yes that is helpful.

I see the site administrator had this to say on another posting:
If shipping by freight use the freight class code of 55. This is one of the least expensive classes and covers industrial scrap.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:23 pm 

I use freightquote.com all the time to arrange freight shipments. Its the easiest route and they give you a bunch of options. UPS and Fedex tend to be a bit proud of there service.