Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:23 am

Post subject: Pin Boards "
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:58 pm 

Hi! I know a couple of people have sent these type of boards already. Did you guys get better than telecom grade? I know there are different types of pin boards and some are better than others. These dont have full plating on the pins but I just dont feel like shipping anything that has to be quoted on site. These are Nortel Pin Boards. If somebody sent these before, would you be kind enough to let me know how much you got for them? Thanks!

Attachments:
20181230_155131~2.jpg
20181230_155131~2.jpg [ 1.6 MiB | Viewed 2241 times ]
20181230_155146~2.jpg
20181230_155146~2.jpg [ 2.41 MiB | Viewed 2241 times ]

Post subject: Re: Pin Boards "
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:43 pm 

Scrap star I have some similar, and have mentioned them in these boards, but haven't sent any in yet. I'm thinking that pulling a good sample of pins and getting a quote is the way to go. One board I have weighs in excess of twenty pounds, so should furnish a decent harvest of pins. Unfortunately, I have no idea of the pin rate for these particular pins...yet.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:17 am 
Site Admin

Yes. As is as long as all wire is removed they go as pin board.
It’s not on the list, another speciality buy rate. It starts around $6 or so, a nudge over telco, and goes up from there; based on the value of the pins once their scanned.

I get a lot of this kind of stuff, especially half plated wire wraps, from old 70s and 60s equipment I work on.
If it reassures you I’ve always gotten something above telco rate on them.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:22 am 

David Boring - I have no clue as well and it is very difficult to tell the value of gold plated pins just looking at them. I gave up on selling pins to a board buyer since I never got over $25 a lb. for them. The pins I sold before that have been pulled out of boards usually went between $5-$25 a lb. and it was just a hell lot of work. I am assuming those boards you have that weigh 20 lbs. each are wire wrap boards. More than likely G.E vintage. They are not as common as Mupac or Univac Wire wraps. I had sold something like that to a buyer for $35 a lb. I had 300 lbs. then and the pins were gold plated copper. I felt bad cause the buyer told me the assay results paid him $8 a lb. I believe he overlooked the size and thickness of the board which was about a quarter inch thick. He made the offer so as bad as he feels there is nothing I can do about it. Some had a silverish metal as the base of the board which were heavy as well, first time I had seen boards that are metal lol. I hope you get a decent deal on those. Thanks for your response

Lostinlodos - Unfortunately these are not wire wrap boards. They are just backplanes for the little boards I posted somewhat earlier. Its fun to find these type of boards sometimes but value had always been a question. It hurts not to know sometimes so thanks for your the assurance and response as well. Your one lucky guy if hou get wire wrap boards every now and then. Last time someone sold me those was a year ago and that is the first time I saw them " EVER" they were G.E, sold them to a buyer who lost money getting them refined. Assay results paid the buyer $8 a lb., he was upset and I have no clue if they cheated him or not. It was only $300 lbs. so I assume most of the value went to refining fees since the boards were thick as hell and some were even metal. I try to shop around and see the best deal I can get specially if I am holding a decent amount of weight. Sometimes I get more for certain stuff sending it to Boardsort and sometimes I get better deals on other things to a different buyer or make more just selling it locally. I am still looking for a solution on my low grade and midgrade boards since the best paying buyer for these type of grade is 2 hours away and I only get about 1500 lbs. or less a month. The local yard currently pays $0.15 and I can get $0.24 if I travel 2 hours but its just not worth it sometimes not to mention gas, time, loading and unloading. So much work to get a measely $150 for a whole gaylord yet I have been doing this for years and never gave up on looking for the fool who will pay me $1.00 a lb. on low grade lol. A metal cmpany I worked for before who was a big player in the game before Alter bought them actually sold low grade t.v boards to chinese buyers, I had the opportunity to peek at the prices and I was blown. If chinese buyers can buy them for $1.00 a lb. I wonder how much they make on top of that. So much about e-scrap that makes you wonder enough. Maybe one day... Maybe one day...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:04 pm 
Site Admin

;)
I was wondering if those may backplanes missing plastic. Looked so perfectly well spaced.
Unfortunately there’s little consistency in pin plating; even within the same company or even the same board.
Luckily for me my local companies I use have XRF guns and know me well enough to boot them up (30min or more to do so) and scan a small handful of junk for me. When I come across something really dull, almost stale brass looking I’ll bring a few pins from the board locally to decide if I should de-pin the board. Generally I send my pin board whole to Chris. Again I’ve never gotten ‘worse’ than telco.
Gold plate is just one of those things you really can’t know unless you cut a pin and scan or refine it yourself.
If you have the volume you’re implying you may well consider getting an XRF gun. Used ones pop up on eBay every now and then for under $10000. There’s more use than gold though. Suddenly it puts you into a position to sort steel grades. The difference between 302 and 308 is nearly $1!!
Not all that sticks is steel either. Nickel is $3+ per pound. And high nickel steel like the plates from quality build heat shielding can be over $2 per pound vs 1/2č for “sheet iron” rate. Such a case where a spark test can’t tell the difference.
China ... that’s a whole discussion. It’s a non factor now. China shut down many scrap import categories over the last 5 years. The shutdown is part of the commodities crash; as large recyclers scrambled for many months to find new destinations. The issue with China was just because someone paid $1 a pound didn’t mean it was worth $1. The British plastics scandals are a prime example where like China the government paid into the industry based on generic weights regardless of if the claimed material was actually recycled. The $1 per lb that the Hong Kong importer was paying as an example; 90č of that payout was from the mainland government. They then barge it to a mainland town where everything is stripped down and the board that the HK importer paid 10č out of pocket made him 25č in scrap.
An inflated market. Today that has generally been eliminated.
It’s why so many smaller scrap yards shut down over the last 5-6 years.
Paying 10c and getting $1 is beautiful. Paying 10c and getting 11 isn’t sustainable.
All said my wild stab guess is, well, I have no idea what any one pin board is worth over another