Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:07 am

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:24 pm 

Those boards are from telephone switching equipment. My guess is that if they are the size of some I still have, each weighs about ten to twenty pounds. They are worthwhile with all those gold plated pins, but Lostinlosdos will have to give you particulars on preparing them for sale. All the wire must come off the pins, I am sure, and most likely, the "board" is an aluminum plate with insulated holes for the pins to come thru, so most likely, you will have to pull the pins for gold pin quote. .

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:02 pm 

These boards are mounted on an alumimum frame. Any idea what is it from, and if they are worth submitting?

Attachments:
IMG_3548.jpg
IMG_3548.jpg [ 328.76 KiB | Viewed 2878 times ]
IMG_3547.jpg
IMG_3547.jpg [ 349.3 KiB | Viewed 2878 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:34 pm 
Site Admin

David places it accurately

Wires all need to come off
This will get a quoted pin board rate. No need to remove the pins for that (unless you really want to and clean pins are worth more than pin boards by quote, but that’s a LOT of effort.)
Send the wire free board in and they’ll test the pins on the board and quote you out accordingly.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:14 pm 

Thank you for the information. What is the best way to remove the pins from the board?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:42 pm 
Site Admin

That’s not one I can call from just a photo. If you can get a crisp sharp photo at the base of the pins on front and back I may be able to guide you better.

Warnings out of the way:
Depends on how the pins were added. If they were punched down mechanically and soldered in you should be able to rock them loose with two or three tugs per pin using a slip-jaw or robogrip.
If they were placed and then soldered via reflow you can use a heat gun. 800-1000• tends to be just right but this is old enough to be lead solder, so not a good idea unless you have a respirator and do it outside.

If they were punched through, where pins slightly larger than holes are rammed in under force, your best bet is cutting them off. Something along the lines of a mini tungsten saw blade on a micro-cutter or a Dremel could do that rather quickly.

Personally I don’t like dealing with lead solder in general so I would just send the board in myself for a pin board quote.