Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:25 am

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:13 pm 

Tennessee Ernie Ford said "!6 tons, another day older and deeper in debt" Didn't get exactly all of those. I bought online, for $27.50 plus 10%, a pallet with 16 Dell OptiPlex 380 and 760's. Someday I will learn to go by the site and inspect lots that interest me. The units were surplus county library computers, as in worn out, defective, and cannibalized. Five powered up to take hardware inventory to tell me to attach keyboard, etc. All had working power supply, but all except those 5 had no hard drive, and no memory. Power supply and metal socket Motherboard with pinless CPU, and a steel box worth 55 cents each at the metal recycle yard.
As for the other pallet lots, Such as the SAW Filters for CATV, and the Cisco small business wireless router, I have no knowledge of how to check them. While a lot of these types are listed on Ebay, there has only been a couple sales in the last four months, so I will scrap out these units, as originally intended. Will post those boards tomorrow.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:14 am 
Site Admin

Knowledge post your email in blank at blank, no dots and no com. I’ll leave it up for a day before I remove it.
David can then email you if he wants. No further discussion on the board.

Better to keep thing alive when we can.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:17 am 

hey david can you put a list of the cisco stuff up im willing to take a look at it since thats mainly what my warehouse deals in

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:20 pm 

knowledge of computers, not sure of the ethics on exchanging information on the board, as this is for information on selling to Boardsort. I will wait for the moderator ruling/comment as to whether or not it is appropriate. I will say that there is only about 25 cents worth of board in some., which would average out about $4 an hour for the labor of stripping.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:08 pm 

Thanks, Lost. All should understand that when I post concerning my auction buys and other acquisitions, and report back as to what was in the machines, and the amount of saleable material, it is not a solicitation to sell or buy. Much like Lostinlodos series on "What's in it?" my intent is to show or educate others on the possible worth of units, as pertains to selling the boards to Boardsort. While any one lot usually does not have enough boards or other escrap to justify the price that is paid for the lot, I generally recoup my original investment by selling the steel, aluminum, copper (from large transformer coils, as in the battery backup units ) That leaves the mixed wire and the escrap as the profit on the venture. Plus occasionally I will gain a working piece of electronics that I would never afford or even want to own, as a bonus. Case in point: this lot had a working Low vision magnifying reader unit, which is a crt mounted over a slide table that moves in all directions. While the image is somewhat grainy and the colors a little off, it is still a fun plaything, Plus it helps read the tiny writing on CPU 's.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:52 pm 
Site Admin

I’m sorry for my out of order postings. There’s some fluke in my user side settings and the board’s clock.

As you point out Auctions are a great way to occasionally salvage once extremely overpriced merchandise.

Things the majority of people will never come across on their own. I find your postings nostalgic at times.
If on occasion we can find a way to save something I’m all for it until I’m told not to.
Just be realistic, in general. Postings about brand new i9 motherboards are going to get swept up and I’ll probably ban you. This isn’t a sales forum.
Finding old Cisco equipment in a state of ability is worth looking at alternatives before dumping them.
I won’t allow regular trading to happen; so no brand new sells and no pallets of 486s
but rare, low volume, and otherwise hard to grab things I tend to let slide.
Besides I’d be a hypocrite if I just blanket block. I’m still waiting for someone to paste parts from an AS/400!

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 9:06 pm 

UPdate: Scrapped out about half of the optiplexes, as I only had one legit Craigs list inquiry and two scammers. Worked the scammer for four days, begging him to send me a fake cashiers check, telling him how bad I needed the money and would do anything to help him and would hold them for a few days since he was busy getting married, etc. Even showed compassion for his secretary, stupid person she was, who made the check out for way too much, and I hoped she didn't get fired! All seemed well, but my fake check never arrived.
I did get a legit inquiry from a computer repair and game shop, but apparently the guts weren't up to game status, so no sale there. But since I tripled my initial outlay on other items already, I'm not too bothered that I will only make about four bucks each on the towers for scrap...since I paid less than two dollars each, and had lots of other stuff.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:49 am 

You forgot to mention the fun of going through the boxes. Kinda like Christmas! I sold one of those magnifiers on E-Bay for $125. Bought an old Wang pc & Monitor for $5 at a plumbing supply house auction - took it home / blew out the dust / re-seated the cards and powered it up - It was alive! Lotus 123 and a host of other ancient software on a 10mb drive the size of a old Buick water pump - the graphics display card was the size of my head. Ended up selling it for $600 to a chap who was starting his own Wang museum in Germany -

I love doing this. For the extra money and the thrill of the find

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:26 pm 

Right you are gumby. When I am not prowling thru boxes of auction buys and thrift stores, I am out collecting rocks and weird wood knots. I haven't mastered the intricacies of shipping yet, so I am leery of anything that won't fit in a standard box...I recently sold a five pound plastic boot cover for a Chrysler convertible on ebay for 25 dollars plus shipping of $22. United Parcel wanted 34 to box it in their box, and 80 something to deliver about 220 miles. Almost 50 cents per mile/ I told them if all else, I would deliver it by hand. Finally construced my own oversize box and mailed it for 12.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:28 pm 

So where am I going to find one of these 400's, Lostinlodos? I don't even know what or what brand to look for.
lostinlodos wrote:
I’m sorry for my out of order postings. There’s some fluke in my user side settings and the board’s clock.

As you point out Auctions are a great way to occasionally salvage once extremely overpriced merchandise.

Things the majority of people will never come across on their own. I find your postings nostalgic at times.
If on occasion we can find a way to save something I’m all for it until I’m told not to.
Just be realistic, in general. Postings about brand new i9 motherboards are going to get swept up and I’ll probably ban you. This isn’t a sales forum.
Finding old Cisco equipment in a state of ability is worth looking at alternatives before dumping them.
I won’t allow regular trading to happen; so no brand new sells and no pallets of 486s
but rare, low volume, and otherwise hard to grab things I tend to let slide.
Besides I’d be a hypocrite if I just blanket block. I’m still waiting for someone to paste parts from an AS/400!