Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:19 am

Post subject: Sorting for convenience
PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 8:53 pm 

If, for example, I have only 1 small socket motherboard in my stash, can I toss it in with the stack of peripheral boards just to make it easier? Since small socket motherboard is slightly of more value than peripheral?

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 9:59 pm 

No problem putting them in the same box, but it is simple to just separate it from the peripheral with a sheet of newsprint and maybe note that it is just the one board.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 8:07 pm 

David Boring wrote:
No problem putting them in the same box, but it is simple to just separate it from the peripheral with a sheet of newsprint and maybe note that it is just the one board.

That's what I would (and did last time) do normally. I have a lot more stuff this time. Mostly in large socket MB and peripheral. But in case I run across a single board of a type... seems silly to identify it separately if I can just included it with other boards of a slightly lesser value.

Thanks,

Tony

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 8:33 pm 
Site Admin

Boardsort still prefers they be sorted. Whilst it’s kind of you to take a slight drop they still need to sort them out at the warehouse.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 8:37 pm 

lostinlodos wrote:
Boardsort still prefers they be sorted. Whilst it’s kind of you to take a slight drop they still need to sort them out at the warehouse.

Sounds good! I'll do my best with the sort. It's been a few years since I went through this exercise and I have more stuff this time.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:47 am 

Is there a publication I can download and print out with pictures to help decipher different types of boards. I'm pretty sure I can figure it out with descriptions but would like to learn a little more anyways. Thank you guys for your help.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:41 pm 

If you have the time and energy you could use a snipping tool or screen capture and save pics to a file with folders and use a laptop or ipad to view pics and descriptions as you sort. Of course if you have wifi you could just pull up Boardsort site and get reference pics as you sort.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:24 am 

on the home page there is a link for the e-scrap gallery it has alot of photos in there

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:46 pm 
Site Admin

Unfortunately no two companies use the same terms for the same item, when it comes to any recycling commodity.
Some companies use low grade, mid, and high and a few specific categories.
(This is the norm in dedicated escrap/ewaste)

Others use low and high only and dozens of specific classing.
This is more common in large recycling facilities.

Then again you have companies like board sort that have dozens of classes, AND catch-all low, mid, and High (telco)

And to further confuse the process small and medium recyclers will use a blanket escrap category using metal classes (1, 2, 3, 4/breakage)
But small local companies usually use electrical scrap and electrical breakage and nothing further if they buy it at all.

Your best resource process isn’t so much a book or guide of category pictures as much as finding in the forum threads where individual boards go, and then looking up variations of those boards.

A quick example. We know the vast majority of router motherboards are classed as peripheral. So a quick Bing or Google image search for “router motherboard” will give you all sorts of examples. The learning point is not which are peripheral but which have enough of this or that to jump out of that class.

With computer motherboards the vast majority are large or small socket. The former including laptop, most AIOs, and the majority of smaller socketed 486 era and earlier boards. The latter including most mid-late 90s thin clients with soldered CPUs.
Then you can look up, say, unique motherboard. Or something. You’ll find things like late era Be box boards, and some Via based SFF, peripheral classed motherboards. Or find a next cube board which scoots into telco. Commercial printer boards from xerox, brother, Fuji, etc will make small or large socket class where most printer controller boards go as peripheral.

If you look at the picture in the gallery, and yours is strikingly similar, you’ve got your class. If your motherboard is shaped like a pine tree, you should post a picture to get it classed. And for all our enjoyment in seeing tree shaped motherboards. Etc

And if you have a large brown board with edge to edge ICs; good chance it’s better than low grade.

:)