Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:32 pm

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:39 pm 

I'm still new to this and getting the hang of it pretty well, but i'm still struggling with the line between peripheral and telcom boards. Are telcom boards a lot of chips and very few other components? Can i remove these components to upgrade a board to telcom? I know there is now a low and and high telcom, which definitely makes it easier. Basically, I'm just wondering what designates it as telcom, over others.

For Example, the boards below have lots of chips but also other components and slots. I can usually identify an obvious peripheral board but I'm uncertain if boards like these would fall under telcom or peripheral. Am i thinking about this all wrong?

Attachment:
IMG_4456.JPG
IMG_4456.JPG [ 3.66 MiB | Viewed 3247 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_4475.JPG
IMG_4475.JPG [ 3.98 MiB | Viewed 3247 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_4477.JPG
IMG_4477.JPG [ 4.24 MiB | Viewed 3247 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:07 pm 
Site Admin

Peripheral
Peripheral
Peripheral/see note

Bottom right will probably just barely squeeze into small green socket motherboard
It has internal expansion, external ports. Multiple memory sockets. An I/o and bridge system, and a soldered cpu.

Telco is more than just IC density; though that’s the major focus. It’s also the amount of other components as you pointed to, as well as board, and material, quality.
An Rom expansion from a TI-99 which is full of ICs, on wooden press wood with no layering is only peripheral for that reason.
I’m still working on the two telco classes.
My current understanding and approach is that it splits the old telco into telco and better telco, more than anything. And also allows previously very borderline boards a way to sneak in: back door style. A safety net for telco more than creating a new middle classification.
If anyone can folly my random thoughts today.