Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:05 pm

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:00 pm 

What does the man who knows nothing about electronics do when he buys a twenty year old machine? First he dreams that it is a rare find, worth thousands to a collector, or hundreds to someone who needs parts. After a few days and many forays onto ebay, he discovers that there is one or two offered for sale, but that no one is really using such an outdated machine anymore. So, having acquired it at scrap iron prices, he decides to strip it and get a few bucks, but the main reason is it takes up too much space, weighs nearly 600 pounds, and even if someone did buy it, I have no idea of how to ship it.
So, partially disassembled it, and discovered I still couldn't lift it into the pickup truck, even by tilting and sliding it. Well, I am old enough to know better, but stubborn enough to not do better. I put one of the dented large door panelson the tailgate of the truck, tilted the heavy heavy machine, and then positioned myself under the machine in such a position that when I got it lifted mid thigh high, If I let it go, bones would break. I knew I could lift it that high, and sure enough, knowing I couldn't get out of the way, I had to exert enough to shove it on the truck.
But the goodies were what I took off before committing stupidity. There was about twenty pounds of communication cable wiring, big red connectors with huge gold plated pins, a large transformer wound with about 8 pounds of square (1/8 3/16?) copper wire, and 18 circuit boards. Three or four were heavy power supply (transformer 3 inches square) but some of the others made me smile.
The point of this is, on that particular Kodak machine, almost all the components were mounted on a backing plate held in place with only a couple screws. After contorting like a 250 pound jelly filled donut, I finally got smart enough to take out the retainer screws, remove the units., and remove the goodies while standing comfortably.
I had expected to only recover five or maybe six boards, but surprise, everytime I removed something, another board was revealed.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:27 pm 
Site Admin

“There be some gold in these there...” contraptions.
Nice haul. Have fun and be safe!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:23 am 

This post is useless without pictures.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:37 am 

mwfhawk, I am sorry you got nothing from my post except a waste of your time reading it. I was not posting pictures of boards for identification. If I wanted identification, I would have posted in a different category, such as , duh, Board ID. This topic was tips and techniques, which is ways to better, easier, and hopefully, profitably prepare your scrap for sale. In case you missed my point in all the palaver, rather than spending minutes trying to remove individual boards from inaccessible locations, spend seconds removing a screw or two hold the unit that contains the boards, and then the board can be removed easily
The second point is the machine, weighing roughly 600 pounds, would sell as shred for about $30 whole in the recycling facility. Now since I am over 70 years old, and have pretty much learned how to let gravity lift heavy items that I can't pick up, sometimes even I have to remove a couple hundreds of pounds, so poor weak gravity can lift the rest of the machine into the back of the truck with me giving guidance on direction. Since I had already recovered 10 times my original investment in the lot, this machine was practically free, so selling whole for junk would have made money: however, stripping out the twenty pounds of wiring lowered the whole unit junk value by only one dollar, but increased my final take by an additional $30. Removing the weight of the boards would negligibly impact the overall value for junk, as the 18 boards weighed less than 12 pounds, but I expect them to bring another $20, so that my sales total should approach $80 on a $5.00 investment (pro-rated on the number of items in the lot)
A third point is that I am a junker, not an electronics whiz. I also sell on ebay and other venues, but I have qualms about trying to sell a high priced piece of electronics of which I know nothing and for which there is no demand.. Perhaps I could have sold a board or two for a couple hundred dollars, but if said boards were defective, the negative feedback would hurt my future sales.
Concerning your comment that without pictures, this post is worthless, I do not accept your valuation. I do assign value to your comment, although it is a blunt rejection of the article. It shows that I missed an audience who needs pictures. Forums are usually a place where words are the currency. Often I sell an item on Craigslist simply because the buyer finds my description amusing, with human interest and not just commercial statistics.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:20 am 
Site Admin

Mwfhawk wrote:
This post is useless without pictures.

The his wasn’t intended for any kind of identification. It’s a story.

With that his point of post is on target. I’ve long advocated to turn one more screw. In reality you just never know.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:18 am 

To reiterate, looking from the open door panels, I could see few boards, but when the unit/panels were removed, not only was there boards on the back of the panel, never seen until removal, but under a dust shield would be another set behind the first group. However, I do intend to post photos of the humongous haul of boards.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:47 pm 

my apologies. I would have just like to have seen the boards you are talking about.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:41 pm 

Attachment:
ka.jpg
ka.jpg [ 1.31 MiB | Viewed 11535 times ]
Attachment:
kb.jpg
kb.jpg [ 1.31 MiB | Viewed 11535 times ]
Attachment:
kc.jpg
kc.jpg [ 1.29 MiB | Viewed 11535 times ]
Just for you, Hawk. First three are most heavily populated with IC's. Large boards, about 10 x16 inches, with lots of gold flashed external connection ports.
Not shown yet are the 6 different power supply boards...each sub unit had its own power supply. Also, not shown at the moment are the smaller boards

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:01 am 
Site Admin

High telco/high telco/low telco
Low telco
Midgrade/peripheral

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:16 am 

I go to the What is it board and this board all the time to look at the boards people post. I secretly grade them... and then hang my head most of the time when lost posts what they actually are. I would like to think I'm not alone in this lol.